French River - May 24 Long Weekend Report

steve_paul

Went up to the French River on the May 24 long weekend with my son Ryan and his friend Tyson. Fishing was slow, weather for the most part very nice except the dreaded cold front that moved thru. Had a great time, can't beat the boys weekend away with my son. Tyson had never been up north so there were lots of new things for him to see. It was fun seeing the beauty of things that sometimes you take for granted through someone elses eyes that have never witnessed them. While the fishing was slow, got some pike and a few OOS bass but sadly no walleye - we had a great time.

Left St. Thomas on Friday at 3am, great time to travel, little traffic on the road and were on the 400 by 5am. Plan was to change the old toilet at the cottage to a new compost toilet. Not a fun job but had to be done.

Out with the old

med_gallery_67_247_81734.jpg

In with the new (Ryan warming it up on the deck)

med_gallery_67_247_80683.jpg

Job was done by about 6 Friday, had a few pops, dinner and early to bed so we could get an early start on the water Saturday

Woke up and the loons told us to get moving

med_gallery_67_247_11032.jpg

Beautiful weather during the day on Saturday - sunny and warm

med_gallery_67_247_24011.jpg

Ryan landed a nice pike

med_gallery_67_247_18287.jpg

Fished all day, noticed a very large black wall of cloud moving in, temps started to drop and fish seemed to disappear.

Woke up the next morning and things were a little different

med_gallery_67_247_28046.jpg

Fishing got tough but managed a few snot rockets to keep us out there

med_gallery_67_247_94331.jpg

Took the occasional break to get warm

med_gallery_67_247_67291.jpg

While it was a tough day with few fish, the boys perservered without any complaints and we stayed on the water until sunset - my favorite time of day up there - the beauty is incredible

med_gallery_67_247_6339.jpg

Monday was our last full day up there and we had to get Tyson, who had been skunked up til then, some fish

Took him to a little panfish hole and washed the skunk off him

med_gallery_67_247_90265.jpg

Full of confidence now, he wanted his first pike - thankfully he got it

med_gallery_67_247_6892.jpg

Not much else that day, except we interrupted this little fella having his lunch

med_gallery_67_247_180032.jpg

Even the clouds taunted us, telling us there are fish there but no luck

med_gallery_67_247_278.jpg

Watched the sun go down on another great boys weekend away with my son, up early the next day for the long ride home. A quick stop at BPS to stretch the legs and restock the tackle that some of the rocks up there ate and we were home and unpacked by dinner time Tuesday. Tyson loved it, says he is going back up with us in July. Can't beat the time with kids - it goes so fast, get it in while you can.

Thanks for reading

med_gallery_67_247_48326.jpg

Steve awesome report brother! where abouts is your cottage? how far of a drive from the city known for the Elephant?

Good job on the kids getting out there! That is what it is all about!

Gerritt

Steve awesome report brother! where abouts is your cottage? how far of a drive from the city known for the Elephant?

Good job on the kids getting out there! That is what it is all about!

Gerritt

From losing Jumbo's behind in the rearview to the marina is about 6 1/2 hours depending on traffic and how many stops we make. Usually only 2 stops for coffee though as BPS was closed at 5:30 am thankfully :whistling: - that usually adds about an hour to the drive and a couple hundred bucks to the cost of the trip.

You're right about the kids - I am learning a ton from Ryan as he is a sponge for learning - spends all winter reading up then numbing my mind with all his fishing facts and info.