Good advice

craigdritchie

Awesome Craig. Since you are being so nice to them....what kinda wine do they like?

Hard to go wrong with a nice merlot. Californian merlots from 2007 or 2010 are drinking very well right now, but I still prefer merlot-cab blends from Bordeau. A nice 2007 Château Mouton Rothschild would be absolutely delightful, if you have two grand to spend on a bottle of grape juice. If , like me, you don't ... then a nice Philippe de Rothschild Merlot VdP ($12) also works just fine ... or splurge on a nice 2010 or 2012 Château des Charmes cab-merlot ($30) from Niagara :-)

I buy my wine by the 5 gallon pale. It's white or red. If you want a slight Rose put some red in the white. Now this is coming from a guy that has had everything from the best Ammarone (sic) in Alba Adriatico Abruzzi to Sake in the Ginza in Tokyo Give me a 50 buck a pail or box of juice and I'll be just as obnoxious as any connoisseur after a gallon of the finest 78' Marchel Foch.

I really do not enjoy Moose but love Venison. The guys say that's not possible, but I just don't like it. I find it dry and too woody. Is it possible to like one and detest the other? I detest it as much as I do liver. They don't get it. I love milk chocolate but won't put white chocolate to my lips.

Nice freezer BFW, better keep the doors locked.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Hard to go wrong with a nice merlot. Californian merlots from 2007 or 2010 are drinking very well right now, but I still prefer merlot-cab blends from Bordeau. A nice 2007 Château Mouton Rothschild would be absolutely delightful, if you have two grand to spend on a bottle of grape juice. If , like me, you don't ... then a nice Philippe de Rothschild Merlot VdP ($12) also works just fine ... or splurge on a nice 2010 or 2012 Château des Charmes cab-merlot ($30) from Niagara :-)

Thx Craig ...you have always gave me solid advice when it comes to the vino :clapping:

I buy my wine by the 5 gallon pale. It's white or red. If you want a slight Rose put some red in the white. Now this is coming from a guy that has had everything from the best Ammarone (sic) in Alba Adriatico Abruzzi to Sake in the Ginza in Tokyo Give me a 50 buck a pail or box of juice and I'll be just as obnoxious as any connoisseur after a gallon of the finest 78' Marchel Foch.

I really do not enjoy Moose but love Venison. The guys say that's not possible, but I just don't like it. I find it dry and too woody. Is it possible to like one and detest the other? I detest it as much as I do liver. They don't get it. I love milk chocolate but won't put white chocolate to my lips.

Nice freezer BFW, better keep the doors locked.

Funny you mention that about moose. My old boss was originally from Newfie and grew up eating a lot of moose....but claims he was never a fan..until he married and his wife made him stew with the moose meat. Raved about how good it was. One day brought me in some to work. Have to agree it was the best stew I had ever had. However I have to add that this woman was a wonder in the kitchen. She could probably make stew from an old work boot and it would be good.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I know what you mean by moose meat being dry; if you cook it like you would a beef or pork roast. The next time you get a chance try prepping the roast like this; it wont be dry and it mellows the wild taste.

Make up some melted butter with garlic powder mixed in.

Inject that butter mixture into the roast evenly throughout the meat.

Spice the outside of the roast with all your favorites.

The next part you'll need your butcher to save you a some beef fat caps that he has trimmed from roasts.

Wrap & tie this fat onto the moose roast; then roast as you would normally, until done to your liking.

I promise you it won't be dry and it'll have a nice garlic taste and the meat will melt in your mouth.

My Mom use too do moose and horse meat that way and it always came out great.

Yes I said horse meat; put a cut of each beside each other and you will not see the difference. As for taste the moose is a bit stronger; but the texture of the meat is the same.

Dan.

I know what you mean by moose meat being dry; if you cook it like you would a beef or pork roast. The next time you get a chance try prepping the roast like this; it wont be dry and it mellows the wild taste.

Make up some melted butter with garlic powder mixed in.

Inject that butter mixture into the roast evenly throughout the meat.

Spice the outside of the roast with all your favorites.

The next part you'll need your butcher to save you a some beef fat caps that he has trimmed from roasts.

Wrap & tie this fat onto the moose roast; then roast as you would normally, until done to your liking.

I promise you it won't be dry and it'll have a nice garlic taste and the meat will melt in your mouth.

My Mom use too do moose and horse meat that way and it always came out great.

Yes I said horse meat; put a cut of each beside each other and you will not see the difference. As for taste the moose is a bit stronger; but the texture of the meat is the same.

Dan.

Can you get a moose on that spit of yours?

Can you get a moose on that spit of yours?

Not sure but I'd give it one hell of a try! LOL

Nice to hear from you Brian.

As for the spit I'm trying to arrange being around for the "fish a thon" and offer it and my services to cook a pork for them and the great cause they're there for. I'll need a sous chef are you in????

Dan.

Not sure but I'd give it one hell of a try! LOL

Nice to hear from you Brian.

As for the spit I'm trying to arrange being around for the "fish a thon" and offer it and my services to cook a pork for them and the great cause they're there for. I'll need a sous chef are you in????

Dan.

Maybe. what's a sous chef? LOL!!

Sadly, Saturday's have become work days now... my cushy Tue-Fri job has been tampered with.... tue-wed-thu-sat grrrr.

Sous Chef is the the helper that if anything goes wrong; it's the sous chefs fault. LOL

But I'll take you under my close supervision and we'll make a great team.

As for work' you are you're own boss; call in a sick day.

It's only money and we all know anyone self employed are rich.. LOL

Dan