fishfinders and chart plotters are like computers these days...

AdamS

I don't know if its because I'm so busy these days but It seems like the manufacturers of fish finders & GPS units are coming out with new models every 6 months to me. I remember I when I got the hds gen 2 and I thought, its still a fairly new model and they probably won't come out with new ones for a while. Then they came out with the HDS 7 gen2 with Chirp, then the HDS gen2 touch. I thought for sure the gen2 touch would be out for a while before they came out with any new models, but I neglected the fact that companies have to come out with new models to keep us thinking we need to upgrade, so they can increase their profit. Today I went on the lowrance website for a reason I can't even remember due to shock lol, and now they've come out with the HDS gen 3 touch. It seems like these days it costs a fortune to keep up with technology. Now I know a fishfinder is a fishfinder, and some of you are using older units, or usin the ol' mental map and they work just fine; but the rate they're coming out with new technology is ridiculous these days. When thinking about this it reminded me of a scene from the onion movie so I thought I'd share. I don't know how to post the video directly in here so I'll post the link. The clip focuses on computers and it is an older movie but hopefully you'll get the point.

Caution: This video contains coarse language

I'm using an older unit, no complaints.

I recently checked out the new models online and was pleasantly surprised at the pricing for far better technology. I don't need one but I'm definitely tempted.

My 565 is around 8 years old though.

I guess you could buy a new one every 6 months, to keep up with the trends.

Edited by chris.brock