Jiffy ice auger wobbel, a pain to drill

Bluegill

I use a Jiffy ice auger for 2 or 3 years.

It was always wobbeling during drilling and a pain to drill.

Made a photo and asked Jiffy if the angle at the blade holder is normal.

Answer was: It does look bent. You can order a new auger at our website.

---

The shown angle goes over the whole blade holder including the welding!!

There is no way I could bend this big metal. Never pressed or bumped the auger on the ice. If the angle is not normal then this auger was a faulty construction.

My question:

Is there anybody who can have a look at their auger where the ripper blade is installed. Is there an angle or is it flat under the ripper blade?

jiffy_auger_zps8f60eba8.jpg

Edited by Bluegill

if you look close. it looks like the threaded shaft is bent,not the ripper. The nuts dont run in a straight line. Anyone else see this?

Maybe they came loose?

For sure, there,s something not right there.

Can you post a straight on shot as well?

Edited by Brian B

if you look close. it looks like the threaded shaft is bent,not the ripper. The nuts dont run in a straight line. Anyone else see this?

Maybe they came loose?

For sure, there,s something not right there.

Can you post a straight on shot as well?

Yes, the whole shaft is bent incl up to the welding at the end. The nuts never came loose.

Will try to make an other shot.

Tnx.

Brian, take a close look at where the red line ends at the top of the photo. Right there are the stamped ridges on the chipper blade. If you install them on that side, the ridges don't allow that surface of the blade to lay flat against the bottom of the auger plate.

Yup. See that. A front shot and another side shot from the other side would be nice to see.

Orger was in the truck full of ice, took me a while :-)

Here are 2 additional photos.

And tnx to the other guys. But there is no way to install the blade at the opposite site. Look at the knob and the ribs... there are extra openings for the ribs

My question again:
Is there anybody who can have a look at their auger where the ripper blade is installed. Is there an angle or is it flat under the ripper blade?

jiffy_auger_3_zps919650c2.jpg

jiffy_auger_2_zps34d8de9c.jpg

Edited by Bluegill

My jiffy 9" ripper bolts in on top.. just like that one. I'm not home so can't check any other angles. Wobble is generally the center peg being ice or dinged.. not the ripper.

Yes, that's why I ask if the kink is normal.

I can see the whole kink up to the welding. If it's normal then I try other things.

Never ever bumped it, the blade is fine as anybody can see.

jiffy_auger_4_zpsb3e39f68.jpg

blade is supposed to mount on top, correctly as shown in the pic, that little bead prevents mounting on the bottom

a friend had one with similar issue, wobbled and cut poorly, but he was also rough on his auger, redrilled holes, put his body weight on top of it, so I blame him

ask jiffy if they will give you a discount on a new auger blade (no powerhead), doesn't hurt to ask

jiffyblade_zps694f6a84.png

Edited by bare foot wader

Ya, mines on top, no space between the blade and mounting surface. Look at the space and angle between Bluegills blade and mine. Mine is more open, his is narrower. I could only say that his has been wacked upwards.

[/url]">http://IMG_0086.jpg

Edited by Fisherman

Ya, mines on top, no space between the blade and mounting surface. Look at the space and angle between Bluegills blade and mine. Mine is more open, his is narrower. I could only say that his has been wacked upwards.

[/url]">http://

Ya, tnx you guys.

Just comming back from the basement...

Bent it back and I think it looks way better now.

Since I know now that the angle is not normal I bent it back.

Here is the pic now. Will test it the next days and will write the result.

Tnx all for help!

jiffy_auger_5_zpsef1cc1bf.jpg

Edited by Bluegill

My 3 year old 10" Jiffy stealth xt is the exact same as what the OP posted in the first picture. It's only seen 4-5 tanks of gas and I know it has not been banged on the ice as I am literally the only person who has used it after it left the factory.

When looking at the same angle as his first pic I can see that the bottom of the auger, where the ripper blade bolts on, is twisted slightly just like in the first picture. in the middle it starts square with the shaft and twists slightly as it progresses towards the outside. It's easy to see this when looking at the bolts as one is on a slight angle as BB pointed out. When looking at the sharpened edges of the ripper blade I can only assume this angle dictates how aggressive the ripper blade will be. The lower angle will "rip" into the ice less (original pic) where as more angle (after OP bent it) will mean more "ripping" into the ice?

More aggressive cut means faster drilling, but increased mechanical wear?

My auger burns through the ice with zero wobble...

After looking at Terry's, that's 3 Jiffy's with the exact same twist. I'm gonna say it's supposed to be like that and you likely have a bent shaft causing the wobble.

Might want to test it on some local ice to see if it still works properly before heading off somewhere far just to find out you can't drill any holes...