Jerkbait rod

msp

That is my concern with the micro guides. I also use 50-100 pound flouro leaders for pike.

I don't usually need the knot to go through the guides but every once in a while if a bait gets snagged I will reel up to the bait and use the Rod tip to free it

I've caught a few pike on that rod without issues. Nothing to write home about but big enough to test the rod.

I should not I picked mine up for quite a bit less because the tackle shop wanted to blow out the Megabass rods. That wing said, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Although it states "jerkbait special" on it, it is quite a versatile rod that is worth a good look over. I don't beleive you will be dissapointed.

I would have preferred to buy a Dobyns but as stated, I could not find what I was looking for at that time. Looking back, I probably could have done quite well with a champion 683 (not a cb stick yet almost the same ratings as the xx) but you never know.

Edited by Lape0019

its not the catching of the fish that would be the issue, rather, what baits are being casted.

likely the jerk baits used for pike will be heavier than the standard vision 110's.

my concern would be overblowing the rod on the cast, not bringing in a 6-8lbs pike.

i cant think of a more versatile rod for bass and pike than a 7' mh. mind you, pike and especially bass are a bit of an afterthought for me and i don't see a need for specialized gear in my case. but this style does everything i need it to, from husky jerks/xraps to spinner baits and #3-5 inlines

Edited by Raf

its not the catching of the fish that would be the issue, rather, what baits are being casted.

likely the jerk baits used for pike will be heavier than the standard vision 110's.

my concern would be overblowing the rod on the cast, not bringing in a 6-8lbs pike.

That is understandable. The rod is rated for 3/4oz. The Dobyns that are being tossed around as ideas are about the same.

All very good points so far. I have plenty of rods in the med heavy category. I have a couple of heavy action flipping sticks for throwing bigger pike style jerks in the 1-2 oz range. The Rod im looking for will be for bass style jerk baits like rogues, husky jerks ect.....

I will have a look at the Dobyns rods soon. I have soft spot in my heart for shimano. So I'm really considering the new crucial

That is my concern with the micro guides. I also use 50-100 pound flouro leaders for pike.

I don't usually need the knot to go through the guides but every once in a while if a bait gets snagged I will reel up to the bait and use the Rod tip to free it

I think you need 2 rods Mike, one for Bass(Smallies/Largies) on the jerk bait and a completely different setup for Pike and the heavy braid/leaders.

i cant think of a more versatile rod for bass and pike than a 7' mh. mind you, pike and especially bass are a bit of an afterthought for me and i don't see a need for specialized gear in my case. but this style does everything i need it to, from husky jerks/xraps to spinner baits and #3-5 inlines

DITTO on the 7 MH it will do most of it....and when the fishing gets tough I pull out the Barbie special.....

s7_122509_imageset_01.jpg

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I've got a 7ft Avid, m/h, fast action that I catch most of my pike on in the spring fishing jerkbaits. It can double up as spinnerbait rod, topwater rod, whatever. I've landed some giants on that stick (40in+), never under gunned.

If there was one rod I could have, that would probably be it.

I like my mh 6'6 v-rod for pike husky jerks, rogues etc. Been using it since it came out back in the day. Feels good. Mind you I've never tried a dobyn's or megabass. I have an old school crucial as well that's longer but I like the shorter stick for jerkbaits. If the new crucials are like the old ones that sounds like a good bet.

I've got a 7ft Avid, m/h, fast action that I catch most of my pike on in the spring fishing jerkbaits. It can double up as spinnerbait rod, topwater rod, whatever. I've landed some giants on that stick (40in+), never under gunned.

If there was one rod I could have, that would probably be it.

The new Avid-X looks pretty sweet. Heard a lot of great things about the St. Croix rods

Did you buy your rod yet? I was just at Sail. They had the previous Generation Crucial on clearance for 79.99.

I had a couple of those models in the past and sold them off. I found that they didn't compare to the previous generation of crucials

I hated the foam split grip

Still have a bit of time to pick out a rod. I'm going to check a few other models

I haven't had a chance to check out the new Avid-X models yet, but if it's a split grip rod it's not for me, lol.

I originally didn't like the split grip rods either. I have both but do prefer the full cork better. I'm used to the split grip now. What is your reason for not liking the split grips?

I have two split grips, both nrx rods. I prefer full cork 100%. Especially on the dobyns rods, balance is amazing, something the previous shimano crucials lacked, havent handled the current models though.

Edited by dan668

two handed casting (reaction baits, etc) is a pain in the butt with split grips.

all my nrx's are split grips (obviously), but otherwise I only use full cork rods.

if nrx's would release non split grip versions, I'd sell all my split grips and replace with full cork.

and nothing is worse than that eva foam crap.