Boat from the Illinios

cowanjo

Hi everyone I have found and had a boat looked at by marine mechanic and a friend of mine in the US who took it to his mechanic. Before I make the final commitment what do I need and what to I need to pay bringing it to Canada. Appreciate if someone has done this and wants to share here or in a PM

Thank you

John

Edited by cowanjo

oh, and be sure to keep your proof of payment of taxes. About 5 years later when you have forgotten about it, you'll probably get a letter in the mail asking for proof by the government

I bought a new boat in '99 and a year or so later I got the letter asking for proof that taxes were payed. I sent a copy of the bill of sale and a year or 2 later I got the same letter again and once more I sent them a copy. Sure enough after a year I got a 3rd letter and I just ignored that one and never heard from them again.

Bunch of total morons.

+++ edit to add my boat was purchased in Ontario +++

Edited by lew

oh, and be sure to keep your proof of payment of taxes. About 5 years later when you have forgotten about it, you'll probably get a letter in the mail asking for proof by the government

We got this for the Lund we imported from Michigan, my oldman faxed them the copy of the receipt we paid at the border when crossing, didn't hear another peep out of them.

All the above advice is excellent.

I have done it twice.

Make sure you get the trailer vin number, make and model as u will need to get a letter from the trailer manufacturer proving their is no recall on it. Also make sure the seller has the trailer ownership papers so it can be signed over to u.

U will also need proof that the boat is paid for/ has a clear title and has no lein on it and a receipt from the seller.

u do not need to call ahead but you do need to declare the cash you r bringing into the states!

Do not lie or fib in the slightest when crossing back into Canada.

Landry

Thanks everyone, starting to pull together so if the boat and trailer are all US (Ranger) then in Ontario this will be NAFTA and GST only. I get the issue on the non par dollar but feel good I was going to do this more than a year ago and put the funds aside!

Anyone imported a ranger to Ontario? Seems GST only

Hey Greg those waypoints and trails are worth more than anything I own for fishing took seven years to get the database and countless scouting hours not even fishing. They will not go with my boat when I put it up - what a great three years I have had with it.

Thanks everyone, starting to pull together so if the boat and trailer are all US (Ranger) then in Ontario this will be NAFTA and GST only. I get the issue on the non par dollar but feel good I was going to do this more than a year ago and put the funds aside!

Anyone imported a ranger to Ontario? Seems GST only

My dad did...

Same deal... Tax and import fee for the trailer...

Boats a boat

After reading all the do's and don'ts and extra this and that. I think I'll buy here.

I wouldn't be buying in the US with the current exchange rate, but if it was closer to par, I wouldn't even hesitate. We couldn't have gotten a similar boat for even close to the price we paid for our Lund. I could still sell it for more today then what we paid for it 3 years ago.

Edited by BillM

Hey Greg those waypoints and trails are worth more than anything I own for fishing took seven years to get the database and countless scouting hours not even fishing. They will not go with my boat when I put it up - what a great three years I have had with it.

I don't blame you for keeping the hard earned database. I would only give someone a database that I had invented for comic relief LOL.

Do you keep good frequent backups of it though?

I had a friend over write his portable GPS POI and waypoints by using the card in a camera on a trip... He said he backed it up onto his laptop before he switched cards. The backup was no good when he tried to restore it, OUCH....

Edited by Canuck2fan

You dont need a trailer re-call letter and only need a trailer or boat ownership if its bought from a title state, many dont issue titles. The trailer manufacturers plate with the vin must be readable to be imported.Have seperate values for boat motor trailer (sworn infront of a notary public if non title state, afidavite not needed if you have title and bill of sale). Hst on boat motor at border and federal on trailer then pst at mto when getting plate

The only hick-up I had was that the state of ohio does not issue ownerships for trailer. I had to get the State of Ohio to fax a letter to the MTO stating this before they would give me a trailer ownership. Got a different answer at each of the 3 MTO places I inquired at.

Well guys I have been to Missouri and back to pick up my boat. When I entered Canada customs they asked what I had to declare and I responded with the boat on the back and 4 cases of beer. They told me to go inside their office to pay the duty on my declared stuff. Once inside I had all the legal documents I needed for her to process the boat . The boarder person asked my son and I how long we had been in the states and we responded with 48 hours. She actually let us each declare $800.00 each towards the tax on the boat for a total of $1600.00. Now how many boarders official would have done that fore you. All in all in took 20 minutes and we were done. Just before we left the counter she says I forgot to charge you duty on all the beer. Then replies with its ok guys you paid enough taxes today, Have a nice day. And we were gone. Over all it was a really easy process.

Triton Guy

This was a couple of months ago. It was really easy for me to bring it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Cowanjo,

I imported my Ranger, bought it in Indiana. Had to get a warranty claim about 1 year later....no problems. But, if you are transferring a warranty, Ranger want you to take it to a dealer for inspection before they'll agree to the transfer. I believe it cost me $100 for the inspection.

Well guys I have been to Missouri and back to pick up my boat. When I entered Canada customs they asked what I had to declare and I responded with the boat on the back and 4 cases of beer. They told me to go inside their office to pay the duty on my declared stuff. Once inside I had all the legal documents I needed for her to process the boat . The boarder person asked my son and I how long we had been in the states and we responded with 48 hours. She actually let us each declare $800.00 each towards the tax on the boat for a total of $1600.00. Now how many boarders official would have done that fore you. All in all in took 20 minutes and we were done. Just before we left the counter she says I forgot to charge you duty on all the beer. Then replies with its ok guys you paid enough taxes today, Have a nice day. And we were gone. Over all it was a really easy process.

Triton Guy

This was a couple of months ago. It was really easy for me to bring it back.

Sounds as simple as the process for our Lund was, good job! I bet you can't wait until the softwater season! :)