Advice-Ice Fishing Lake Nipissing

LostAnotherOne

Just need to know what works well when ice fishing Lake Nipissing. Just booked a two nighter on the ice in January and was wondering whats best to catch whatever they have there which I'm thinking is mostly walleye. I'm even thinking of bringing some larger baits to try and get a pike through the ice.

I haven't been for a few years now, but the group I went with would usually use a lead head jig with a minnow, same as summer. I get bored of that after a while and I would use a small Williams Wabler ice fishing spoon or a Northland Buck Shot spoon tipped with a minnow. I like the Northland spoons. They are compact and small for their weight. I hope that you have a good trip. I would suggest bringing an auger if you haven't already planned to do so. It can be nice to explore a bit if the bite is tough, as it can be at times.

Where did you book if I may ask?

Another thing was we would head out at very early and try for the morning bite for Walleye. Fish for pike, perch and whatever else would bite then at 4PM really pay attention and work for the dusk Walleye bite. It's been a while since we had any luck for Pics during the day. But a fish is a fish is a bonus because I don't get on the ice but twice a season, maybe. I like my ice on Rum when its 26C in the shade of a Palm tree in January.

I booked with Idle Tyme Fishing Camp. Dusk for walleye is a good idea. I may just fish all night. Sleep during the day lol. First time staying overnight on the ice so it should be exciting. Got a navigation map for the lake to show the depths, but its a lot of hit and miss trying to find the spot. May try for pike with a big minnow during the day instead of focusing on walleye all day.

Some are not comfortable bring thier cars/trucks on the ice.... That's cool, everyone has thier own level of comfort.... I can remember driving back from Bernies place on the ice with 4" of water on top that was a humbling experience.....

To each their own is what I am saying.

G

Don't they plow the ice roads out to the huts? Can you take a compact car with winter tires without getting stuck?

I am going up Jan 15-18 with Chilly Willy's..... can't wait!!!

Burt :)

The clan and I have been going up there for over 15 yrs now. Been with Scott twice. you will be fine in a car. That said... Do not try and keep up with him regarding speed. If he still has the white truck, he runs it with ice tires. Not studded ones but they only hold 10 psi, grip like Velcro.

The night bite for walleye is none existent in 30 feet of water. You will get ling at night though. The best walleye bite is 9-10am and 3-4pm, however they do come though during the day also. I have fish at Idle Tyme for the last7 or so years.