Eskimo Fat Fish # 9416

DanD

Has anyone here used one of these larger pop up huts?

I'm thinking of getting one; but there are mixed reviews on the thing. It seems like the people writing the reviews either think it's great or it's junk?

I know it would be at the least a two person job setting it up, if there's any wind at all; but what about trying to heat the thing?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/eskimo-9416-fat-fish-ice-shelter-7-person-0775289p.html#.VH2lAdLF-So

We usually fish with 4 -6 six family members; I hate being crowded or paying for a rental hut that's stuck out in no fish waters.

Dan.

I have been in a similar one, different brand (HT), with 4 guys and gear it started to feel a little cramped, I was surprised how warm it felt in there with just a little cat heater

it does catch a lot of wind and I have seen it get blown down the lake, but I guess that's what the ice screws are for

I had a fat fishing and a quick fish. I sold the fat fish. Mine had an issue with the side wall always flexing in. It couldn't hold up jn the wind well. The way the hut is designed,it's too hard for the poles on the wall to hold up against stronger winds. With the shape of the quick fish, the poles have a stronger concave shape.

Eskimo may have fixed this issue with the newer (2013+)? huts. Mine was from the first introductory year..

I love my Eskimo products though, I have the quick fish 3, quick fish 6 and quick flip 1...

Are they walls or hubs?,In a really windy day with my clam I have two extra ice screws and ropes to anchor the hubs.No big deal.When a hub collapses in ,some force there .I know,knocked me across the hut face first lolol.

Dang,no camera rolling I guess eh? LOL

I have never been fishing in a pop up before and the cost of the one I'm concidering is making me want to be sure I'm not buying something I'll regret?

What's the difference between a wall or hub style hut?

I thought the ice pigs and tie downs would stop a wall from poping back in?

Thanks for the input so far; please keep it coming.

Has anyone used any style of this size of hut and can give me their impression of it. Things like set up and take down; is the extra room worth the effort of setting it up in the wind?

Dan.

I have a clam 2 man teepee. The poles are 5.5' long. The tent sets up to over 7' tall. Only 2 hubs.

In strong winds, with anchors and ropes, the windward side of the tent flexes in 12" - even with the hub rope anchored. The tent is so big it catches the wind alot. I have never had issues setting it up. Just anchor one hub to start it (windward). My family of four can fish inside. I love the big foot print 7'X7'.

It's too big and not insulated enough to heat effectively with a little buddy. My next tent will be something thermal insulated.

Sleepjigging

Good buy if your going with a bunch a people a few times a year. I have a four man tent and trust me it sucks setting it up every time I go out and I go out at least 10 times a season. I want an least a two man tent cause it a huge production setting it up. You better have a least ten guys helping you if you buy that one if there's a strong wind that day. Anyways its a smart financial move buying that instead of renting a hut.