Advice on a rod/reel to pack for trips south

captpierre

Hi Guys.

Just got back from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Excellent time at all inclusive resort Canto Del Sol, thru Sunwing. ($925 for the week)

Saw 2 guys fishing from the beach. Not much in the way of fish.

1 guy had a fairly heavy telescopic rod and medium spinning reel. About 8 ft.

The other guy had a med/heavy 4 piece Cabela baitcaster rod with a Penn reel. about 7 ft.

I'm thinking I'd like to buy an outfit to fit into a suitcase to always take along.

Anybody have any recommendations and where to get them?

Thanks

Peter

I wish I could help you more, most of my Southern fishing trips have been to Myrtle Beach or Clearwater Beach and I have been pier fishing. I just go to the nearest BPS and for about $50.00 get a rod real and some tackle.

One trip where we went to Cuba I did take a light two piece rod a pile of extra line and hooks and some leaders and things. I found a very nice young man that took me fishing for a day for $5.00 and we had a blast.

At the end of the day I gave him his $5.00 then the rod, reel and extra tackle, thought he was going to cry. We ended up getting invited to his family's home for dinner and had the best vacation we have ever had! Such wonderful people!

I'd be putting more thought into what you can leave behind and let the fishing just happen!

PS, the bartenders always know someone who knows someone who will take you fishing for a day, not sure what the going rate would be in Mexico but Cuba $5.00 - $10.00 will get you some spectacular fishing! Hooks, line, things like that are appreciated more than cash.

Just as an after thought; any chance you could ship your rod and stuff ahead and have it held for you there? Might be easier and cheeper than oversize baggage charges and having to haul it to and from the airports.

Edited by Big Cliff

Here is a site that makes pack rods they are well made and priced right. I have the 9ft med surf toro tamer and a diawa luna reel. It handles everything you will catch

near shore. It fits in my suitcase and no worries about carrying it on or excess baggage.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

Art