2000 Honda 30hp 4 stroke

BassMan11

We had a 2000 40hp 4 stroke Honda on the back of our 15ft Legend, one of the best motors we've ever had. Absolutely zero issues, never left us stranded, it also sipped fuel. I can't say enough good things about it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Edited by BillM

Hey BassMan,

I have a 2007 Honda 30 HP 4 Stroke BF. I have had absolutely zero issues with it thus far. *knock on wood*

I run it on a 16' Lund and get about 25 mph. Mind you have have it fully loaded most of the time.

It has never let me down. Very little maintenance. To store it I simply run some stabil through it on my last trip out, and drain the gear oil just in case water has entered, which it never has. Then replace the motor oil in the spring. This year I changed the fuel filter for the first time, and it was barely dirty. Always starts up perfect in the spring. Like others have mentioned, its amazing on fuel!!!!

If the motor is in great shape and the price is right, I'd say go for it!

Oh and it runs very quiet too!

Goodluck

Edited by LucG

I had a 30HP Honda fourstroke and now have a 40HP Honda fourstroke ... both from the late 90's.

Both are excellent motors!!! They run smooth and quiet. It's easy to change the oil.

They do need a good five minutes to warm up on cold mornings.

Here is a video of my 30HP before I sold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIffFz_s1E4

It looks like I have a similar boat as well. 14' Sylvan Sea Snapper but with a built in wood floor. a 30 will push the boat a lot better then the 9.9 I am running now I assume.

Hey BassMan,

I have a 2007 Honda 30 HP 4 Stroke BF. I have had absolutely zero issues with it thus far. *knock on wood*

I run it on a 16' Lund and get about 25 mph. Mind you have have it fully loaded most of the time.

It has never let me down. Very little maintenance. To store it I simply run some stabil through it on my last trip out, and drain the gear oil just in case water has entered, which it never has. Then replace the motor oil in the spring. This year I changed the fuel filter for the first time, and it was barely dirty. Always starts up perfect in the spring. Like others have mentioned, its amazing on fuel!!!!

If the motor is in great shape and the price is right, I'd say go for it!

Oh and it runs very quiet too!

Goodluck

It is priced well compared to other 25-30 hp motors I have been looking at that is for sure. It always makes you wonder why it is so "cheap". The guy said it just had $350 worth of work done to it and will run it for me when I head out there. I would assume I would be running around 30mph in my boat. Sounds like I am making the right choice here.

thanks guys.

Edited by BassMan11

Electric or pull start? Hoping electric or you'd better learn the exact spot of throttle to start it.

We have a 2000 x 25 HP on our steel boat at the lake. Runs flawless and it had been stored improperly (basically just pulled up on shore) for over 3 years before we bought the camp that it came with. 3 carbs and have never had an issue with it period. I've changed the plugs once in 10 years and probably didn't need to.

Electric or pull start? Hoping electric or you'd better learn the exact spot of throttle to start it.

We have a 2000 x 25 HP on our steel boat at the lake. Runs flawless and it had been stored improperly (basically just pulled up on shore) for over 3 years before we bought the camp that it came with. 3 carbs and have never had an issue with it period. I've changed the plugs once in 10 years and probably didn't need to.

Pull start.

What is this exact spot you speak of Wayne? I am sure i'll figure it out.... i hope.

Hopefully the handle is still marked with the throttle location for starting. I borrowed a 30 x 4 stroke Johnson from the marina a few years ago, late in the fall... and the handle markings were worn clean. Damn near had a coronary trying to pull starting it the next cold morning... and when I finally did and took it back, the owner said "did you turn it to here"?

Hopefully the handle is still marked with the throttle location for starting. I borrowed a 30 x 4 stroke Johnson from the marina a few years ago, late in the fall... and the handle markings were worn clean. Damn near had a coronary trying to pull starting it the next cold morning... and when I finally did and took it back, the owner said "did you turn it to here"?

Yikes, when the guy starts it I will take a look and Mark it if it isn't visible.

Thanks for the heads up Wayne.

This might be insignificant, but is the motor a short or long shaft and is it compatible to your transom. I have a 14' wide body with a walk through floor, but a short transom. I don't think I would put a 30hp 4 stroke on it due to the weight of the motor. I have a 25hp 2 stroke and the water level can get scary when rough, any added weight would make it dangerous.

its a 30 short shaft and I understand the concern. Again the boat is rated for a 35 but I also plan to counter balance the weight with some more weight in the front (i.e. battery, gas tank). I also rarely head out alone so again that is more weight in the front of the boat. I am curious on the weight of the motor though… any guesses?

its a 30 short shaft and I understand the concern. Again the boat is rated for a 35 but I also plan to counter balance the weight with some more weight in the front (i.e. battery, gas tank). I also rarely head out alone so again that is more weight in the front of the boat. I am curious on the weight of the motor though… any guesses?

160 + or - a few pounds, my 25 L/S was 154 if I'm not mistaken. I really wouldn't worry about moving weight to the front.

I've used a 30 honda short shaft a lot! Wicked motor, super quiet no issues. My cousin is the boat owner and he just upgraded to a 50!

Might want to get a handle extension, Minn Kota extensions work great. Much nicer for standing and cruising.

Edit- this motor was electric start. Sweet spot was on the choke start spot lol no issues with starting. Can't comment on hand bombing it

TDunn

Edited by TDunn