Travel Rods.

Moosebunk

Hey gang! Any suggestions or experience with the different travel rod options out there. Plan to pick something up in the future that would basically be used to cover a variety of species. Will go with a spinning outfit, preferably medium, rated 8-14lb kinda deal, with some good balls, bone and feel.

Here is where I have purchased 2 rods from that are both very portable and well made.

https://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

It is the only place I have found that has 9ft 4 piece rods that fit in my suitcase for my trips to the islands. (toro tamer)

Art

Nice website, the bikini clad girls are gorgeous, forgot to look at the rods :whistling:

My travel rods are my regular 2 piece 6 to 6.5 footers. I made a light wt. tube with 3" PVC X 3,5 feet with a screw on fitting at one end plus a light wt. shoulder strap that can be folded up and secured so as not to get caught on luggage carousels. A few manufacturers decals and I look like a pro in the airport. Will hold one bait caster and 2 spinning rods. Nothing fancy for around 15 bucks and no compromise with my rods and no need to spend more money on more rods. Wrap the rods with one layer of bubble wrap.

My travel rods are my regular 2 piece 6 to 6.5 footers. I made a light wt. tube with 3" PVC X 3,5 feet with a screw on fitting at one end plus a light wt. shoulder strap that can be folded up and secured so as not to get caught on luggage carousels. A few manufacturers decals and I look like a pro in the airport. Will hold one bait caster and 2 spinning rods. Nothing fancy for around 15 bucks and no compromise with my rods and no need to spend more money on more rods. Wrap the rods with one layer of bubble wrap.

Vilid points on the 2 piece versus the 4, or more, piece rods but sometimes those few inches do make a difference.

Most of them sticks Art look a tad heavy. But I thank you, and have added the site to my favorites for other reasons. :whistling:

The new daiwa travel rods with case are pretty slick.

I have eyed these as well and of recently had almost pulled the trigger on a first Daiwa made rod. I'll check these out at LeBarons if they have in them stock. They're 3 piecers eh!

I hear ya... and in the past have traveled with 2-piece sticks in a rod tube too. But this I hope to actually fit in a bigger suitcase so to not become "extra" luggage, not take up too much extra weight. 2015 will see me working more in the Arctic but with likely little chances in time for fishing. However, should they arise, I'd like to be outfitted with one rod, a 3000 series reel spooled with 20lb braid, a little florocarbon for leaders, some snap swivels, spoons and a few jigs. A lightweight, compact travel kit.

I picked up a Fenwich Eagle GT travel rod (4 pieces) and like it. Has backbone and a good feel to it. Been using it the last 4 years I'd say, no complaints. Think I only paid $60 for it too!

Like Fenwick stuff, always have. Will check these out too. Didn't know they made travel sticks.

Never having had a 3 or 4 piece stick, just kinda wondering if folks out there have had any issues with them being weak or whippy, breaking down, or that kinda thing.

Thanks as well doods!

Thems are some kinda rods there Mike. And in a small way you're kinda right with wanting something great like that.

Checked out the TFO's Tactical and Gary Loomis Sig. Series this morning, and Fenwicks Methods. Not sure what yet, but there's time still on this decision.

I have two travel rods, both 7 foot med power fast action. and both 3 peices.

the Loomis Escape 7 foot med spinning rod (amazing rod, worth the investment if you travel often)

St. Croix Premier 7 foot med power. also very good.

one thing to consider that is good is that the Loomis Escape 7 footer fits in its travel tube that is small enough to fit in a standard 29" large size suit case.

the st. croix does not as the rod tube is a bit longer that the broken down rod.