2 days of grousing (nf in the end)

kickingfrog

My brother and I were up near Temagami for a couple of days for some birds and maybe some fish (in the end we didn't fish as we really only had a day and a half of recreational time when it was all said and done).

We stayed at Ravenscroft on Jumping Caribou Lake. The cabin we were in was simple, dry and warm and that's all we needed.

We got there just before dark on Thursday and headed out to scout an area to see what was happening as the moose hunt was on. As we rounded a bend on the logging road there was a couple of OPP vehicles and the officers said they were checking for drinking/driving. Asked us what we were hunting for and where we were staying. Checked our hunting/fishing licences and FAC's and saw that our guns were cased as they were visible in the back seat. Zero issues and we were on our way. Saw lots of moose camps but there were a lot of trails left for us and back to the cabin for some food and sleep.

Next morning was cold and still. Storybook grouse hunt perfect. Minus 5C at 7:30am.

IMAG1529_zpsab8e48aa.jpg

Gear loaded up and out the door. The moose hunters were easy to stay away from but some grouse guys were bombing around on their atv's and that made it hard to walk a trail that hadn't been driven but we did find a few as we went farther in and stuck to the tighter trails.

As good as the trails looked we only had a spruce grouse to show for our half-day effort. I missed one and there were 2 others that we didn't get a shot at.

IMAG1532_zpsd955d607.jpg

As we pulled up to a spot that looked good we saw a Conservation Officer. We stopped and talked a bit. As it turned out he was working on a moose kill that appeared to have been poached. He gave us a bit of a run down on the grouse in the area and mentioned that the trail we were about to walk was normally good but he hadn't seen any that day, but driving in on the main road he had seen six. Not 100 metres down the trail we see our first bird. We ended up seeing 7 and getting 4 in a short section of the trail. We saw the C.O. later as he was going about his work and let him know how we had done.

IMAG1536_zpsbef63a09.jpg

As we drove out at 6pm he passed us in his truck, and gave us a wave, he had been on the dirt road around 8am that day and I don't know how far he was from the office, or home. Should have got his card. :wallbash:

Hot meal back at the cabin and bed. We had to pack before heading out the next day and knew it was going to be raining in the morning so there was no big rush to get out of warm bed.

Nine degrees Celsius and raining in the am. We timed it well and the rain stopped as we were just getting to the birdie area. Since I wanted to be back before my kids bedtime we decided to hunt the same area that we did well on, rather then exploring a new one. After walking as far in as we could before needing to turn around to make it home in time it looked like a bad call because we hadn't seen a single bird. Out we start to walk and then 4 singles in a 400 metres stretch of trail. Perfect ending.

DSCF2179_zpsd75bd8cd.jpg

I also got a spruce grouse in the rain on the way out and we were done. 10 birds, 8 ruffies and 2 spruce.

The whole family loved today's lunch.

Pan fried grouse and some canned sliced potatoes. Just the way my dad would have made them.

IMAG1546_zpsd86c8988.jpg

IMAG1547_zpsbbeefb9a.jpg

Thats a great report Rob,

I talked to a friend (that came home Thursday) that did his first moose hunt up north. He was not impressed with the traffic of ATV,s and hunters that did not respect his post.

He had set himself up on a nice clearing and these guys just came roaring in, and even seen him as they waved. He was so pissed telling me about it. Total ignorance. Another reason why I wont put out a grand to hunt moose anymore. :wallbash:

Nice to see you and your bro making a great 2 days together.

Thanks for the report.

I don't remember cones but I did see some orange painted rocks on the hwy that were very purposely placed.

As for the spruce, I've haven't seen too many either and none south of South River. My brother has done more hunting north of 17 and those were the first 2 he has seen in the area. :dunno:

Edited by kickingfrog