Mercury 8 and 9.9 fourstrokes

Joeytier

I'll be shopping for a new 12 foot boat/motor/trailer package next spring. Given that most packages are equipped with mercury outboards, I did a little bit of research. One major knock on these motors seems to be very small carb clearances, making them very prone to carb issues, but I can deal with this (stabil and hi-test should help with these). Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with these motors and can chime in with any input? Not seeking input from the Yamaha peanut gallery, as I'm already well aware :)

Those WC-12's are fantastic little boats...love the split bench in the rear. But they are the heaviest 12 footer on the market, and likely worth more than I'm willing to spend. Powersports in North Bay has a nice Starcraft SL-12 on a trailer with a 9.9 merc

I have an older merc. 8.0 hp (97 I believe) and that thing has literally been to hell and back with no problems . It has even been at the bottom of a lake twice ( don't ask )

I had a problem a couple years ago with it starting but it was the line/pick up that was the problem I think . The 8.0 is good but my next backwoods outboard will be a 9.9

Any reason for a 12? A light 14 will give you more space, and is just as easy to muscle off a trailer at a very shallow launch, or beach launch etc. I could see it if you wanted to toss it in a pickup, but if your going to trailer anyway, the 14 makes more sense, and won't be a lot more scratch. Starcraft makes an excellent boat, I love mine! I had an early 80's merc 9.8. It quit for good in 2007. 25 plus years isn't bad, but not great either. The engine was never abused, and well maintained. I'm a Yamaha owner now. I won't say anything LOL!

Edited by porkpie

Any reason for a 12? A light 14 will give you more space, and is just as easy to muscle off a trailer at a very shallow launch, or beach launch etc. I could see it if you wanted to toss it in a pickup, but if your going to trailer anyway, the 14 makes more sense, and won't be a lot more scratch. Starcraft makes an excellent boat, I love mine! I had an early 80's merc 9.8. It quit for good in 2007. 25 plus years isn't bad, but not great either. The engine was never abused, and well maintained. I'm a Yamaha owner now. I won't say anything LOL!

I prefer being able to trailer, but I also need cartopping capabilities. I don't fish big water and many lakes I like don't even have boat launches, so being able to comfortably pull behind a fourwheeler is a factor for me as well.

If you're looking to save a few bucks buy a Tohatsu outboard. They're identical to the Merc (Tohatsu makes small outboards for Merc, including both the 8 and 9.9 hp models) and may be a bit less expensive. That said, there are a lot more Merc dealers out there.

Totally agree with Porkpie - between the two I would take the 9.9 over the 8 every time. They're the exact same engine ... the 8 hp is simply de-tuned down to 8 hp.

The 2014 model year 9.9 is 84 pounds. Merc also offers a "Bigfoot" 9.9 with a larger gearcase and four-blade prop. It's heavier (96 pounds) but gives more grunt if you'll often have heavier loads in the boat.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanks for the input. Do you think I'd be sacrificing a bit of trollability going up to a 9.9 on a such a small boat? I do a lot of trolling and would like to maintain speeds 1.0 - 1.2 if I can. That is my only reason for considering the 8 over the 9.9. I knew the Merc's were a Tohatsu platform but I've yet to compare pricepoints on the two.