People Fishing With Nets on Lower Buckhorn

James77

Hey Folks,

Was out on Lower Buckhorn on Sunday and Monday Morning this week.

Sunday night I ran into two boats one with 6 people in it roughly, the other with one guy (supervisor?) in it.

I spoke to the one guy, he said they were live trapping fish to study the lake, said they had a 16 pound musky, a bunch of walleye, some other cool fish marked that day.

He said they live release most of the fish.

Anyone have an idea who they might be? I was purely curious whether it was MNR or a University/College or if by chance someone was harvesting Walleyes.

I'm a bit confused.

What are the regulations on fishing with nets in Ontario?

James

PS. Was able to land a 4lb Large Mouth and a 34" Musky while trolling. Weather wasn't co-operating with us.

It was a really large net, they had 6 people in the boat pulling it in. It was strange because I was seeing them throw fish out of the net behind them, not tossing but like throwing them.

If it was a conservation authority you think they'd treat all the fish with more respect.

I also thought if it was related to that the gentleman would have disclosed it.

Sounds weird, was it a 14' tinny or fiberglass? If fiberglass, what color boat?

I did stuff like that as a summer student job thing, we were always coached that we are in the public eye and how to conduct ourselves, tossing fish around isn't cool on the job or not

if your getting a weird vibe, likely you've got a cell phone, snap some pics

Without getting to specific where did you see the people doing the netting I have a cottage on Lower Buckhorn and am curious if it was out in the main channel or on the main lake or in some of the back bays no need to get to precise if you are worried about giving location.

Thanks Kawartha Kev

P.S. I am familiar with where Beachwood resort is.

Edited by Kawartha Kev

It is Fleming college students doing surveys. I have two of them staying with us doing their second year in fish and wild life. I'll talk to them about the "throwing fish" and ask them to pass it on to their instructor that the public isn't impressed.