Another preserving question for those in the know . APPLES

misfish

Will be out and about fishing in apple country. Would like to buy some fresh apples and bring them home to preserve. A few jars of apple sauce, and some for freezing for pies and fried , placed over ice cream with Canadian maple syrup. Would also like to buy a dehydrator for those yummy apple rings sprinkled with cinnimon (SP). Yummy snacks. Im sure pears will get in the act as well.

So,lets start with apple sauce. HOW TO ?

Freezing? BEST WAY ?

Thanks.

Apple sauce, some folks peel them, others just thoroughly wash them, them cube them up with the core taken out. In a big honkin pot, (like 20 qt) add all the cubed up apples, add 2 cups, maybe 3 if they are drier apples. Cortland, Macs and Spies are great for cooking. Start them on a medium heat, use a potato masher and keep pushing them down, don't let them sit for long otherwise they'll burn. After 20 minutes or so, add 2 tablespoons or more of cinnamon. I add a bit of powdered ginger. Add sugar as required to sweeten, probably 2 cups, keep stirring. When you like the consistency,( I like mine lumpy), turn off the stove, ladle into jars to about 3/4 inch from the top, on goes the lid. Let them cool and into the freezer. I still have a couple from last fall.

If you make a lot and want them peeled, invest in the green metal apple peeler, they're around $20, they peel, core and slice all in one run.

Edited by Fisherman

Have you thought about making up and freezing some apple dumplings? I like them because it is something a little different, and you can have them on hand as something quick and easy in the freezer for a great dessert, when people drop in over the holidays.

The best apples to use are Ida Reds then Courtlands as either will retain their shape better than other varieties... Take a few apples peel and core them. Then either make your own pie dough, or use frozen shells. A 9" or 10" shell will cover 3 apples. I just thaw a frozen shell then take it out of the tin. Place it the counter on a small amount of flour. I cut it into 3 then shape one of those triangles over the cored peeled apple leaving the hole from the corer uncovered. Then they go into a container deep enough to hold them. I fill the the container with as many apples as it will hold and then pour into each apple a couple raisins, some chopped pecans, then a mixture of cinnamon sugar right to the top of the apple. Cinnamon sugar is just 2 cups of white sugar. 1 to 1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon well mixed, you can add 1 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, and a bit of mace) From frozen they take around an hour at 350 F in a preheated oven. Test the apple with a small knife to make sure it is cooked to your liking. Place the baked apple dumpling in a soup bowl and cover with 2 to 3 ozs of Rum sauce.

Rum sauce

1.5 Cups of Brown Sugar

3 Cups of Water Reserve 1/2 cup for slurry

3 ozs of Butter

1/4 cup of cornstarch

Rum or Rum flavouring to taste

Pinch of salt

Put the Brown sugar 2.5 cups of water and butter in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Make a slurry with the 1/2 cup of Cold water and the 1/4 cup cornstarch in bowl. Add the slurry slowly to the boiling mixture in the pot and stir with a whisk cooking on medium until the sauce thickens. When thick remove from heat add in small amount of rum and the pinch of salt. Serve warm over the apple dumpling Any sauce you left over can be stored for up a couple weeks in a clean dry container in the fridge. If you plan to store the sauce make sure you don't get any drops of water in it as one drop will cause the sauce to mold in a day or two.

Edited by Canuck2fan

When I was a young lad , down on the farm, we had an apple tree that was my job to pick up any apples that had fallen...Not sure what kind they were but they were as hard as a rock...

My great aunt (80 yrs +) would make applesauce and nine times out of ten she would scortch it...it got so I enjoyed it better that way...LOL

I do a lot of preserves every year. Apples are out now because of their relatively good availability all year.

Very true in a good year, and in a bad year the expense of sourcing them makes it way too expensive to bother with... The only way I would bother is if you find some wild crab apples for jelly, or if you have a source for size seconds at a local orchard. Otherwise you aren't going save much.

When I was a young lad , down on the farm, we had an apple tree that was my job to pick up any apples that had fallen...Not sure what kind they were but they were as hard as a rock...

My great aunt (80 yrs +) would make applesauce and nine times out of ten she would scortch it...it got so I enjoyed it better that way...LOL

It is kind of amazing what people get used to LOL.

Thanks fellas.

Looks like they are bringing Collingwood apples to me,instead of making the drive. LOL

There are two apple stands in town. I know the one supplier from years ago. So I know their home grown up there.

Having a hard time finding a decent dehydrator around here. It,s like trying to find a quality bamboo steamer. I have looked everywhere for one of those. Guess a trip down to the city may be in order.

Had some coconut puff balls with cured meat a while back from a friend. I need more.LOL

I wonder what steamed fruit would be like?