spinnerbaits for steelhead?

creditmaster

Spinner baits, whether in line or safety pin style seem to be designed to imitate bait fish. This time of year Steelhead and other species seem to be gourging on them, they might hit anything that resembles a bait fish?

I have caught them on tubes, small crankbaits, and jig and grubs, in Lake Erie and it's tribs in the fall fishing for smallies. My biggest walleye came on a safety pin style spinner bait on the georgian bay, the very next cast I caught a 12 - 13 inch Crappie on the same lure, they are versatile lures.

Back in the day when the trout hatchery at Frenchman's bay was still operating, I saw a guy land a 6lb steelhead on a buzzbait (I also seen carp caught on buzz-baits there as well but that's another story.LOL). In winter, the area around the bridge would remain ice free and the one angler was fishing for pike trying everything from Spinnerbaits, rapalas, in-line spinners, soft-plastics and buzz-baits. The only fish that I saw caught that day was that steelhead on the buzz-bait. It blew my mind.LOL