Why no fish?

creditmaster

hey guys i have found a PARKING LOT OF SALMON AND STEELHEAD. its a old dam that broke apart and theer is a 5 foot hole and its loaded with fish. bit i cant seem to catch them? i used jigs and atalas mikes salmon roe? they did not even look at it. shoul i try spoons and spinners? or is my rig bad

How about trying a heavy fly or streamer?,just keep changing it up till you see what works.

I did not read the article, and it may already include two snippets offered below. Here they are:

1. If you can see the fish, they can see you.

2. Spawning Chinook don't generally eat much, but do strike at reaction type lures like a flatfish/kwikfish/etc running in the current near them.

Doug

Spawning Chinook don't generally eat much, but do strike at reaction type lures like a flatfish/kwikfish/etc running in the current near them.

YUP

Is still my fav. Funny how it was the go to, at a stretch of river here,but most seem to take up spots and pin drift now.

Back to Brian B, yes indeed it was the Pine, Nottawasaga, Mad and to a lesser extent the Sydenham and the Pottowatami (sp?) that I used to hot-shot, mostly with skunk pattern Flatfish. And HANG ON for the strike!

Doug

Now your talking Doug.

It was a rush when that strike came. I dont recall ever missing a hit. When they grabbed it,it was a fight til the end. Straighten hook or break off was the only way I lost one. Back then,there was respect for all anglers to pull up. :canadian:

I always have a kwik in my sack. Salmon or bows. I find a deep moving pool,I throw it on for a go.

Edited by Brian B