Video - Photographing Your Catch When Fishing Solo

JustinHoffman

Very nice Justin

The last few years I've been thinking of ways to photograph my catch with as little impact on the fish as possible. When it comes to selfies, one thing I like to use when I'm alone is an intervelometer type of remote like this:

http://www.photoglobeonline.com/aion-wireless-timer-remote-and-shutter-release.html

You can set the time, number of shots and interval between shots. It's plugged into the pre-trigger cable release socket and it will also focus in between shots automatically. At the end of the day you might have dozens of duplicates of similar shots but at least you know you'll have a pretty good chance of a keeper. It also saves you from having to go back and forth to press the shutter.LOL

Good advice, MJL. Canon actually has a free app. that works as a remote right off your phone - this is only for the most recent of Canon cameras. I have yet to download it but I should, lol.

In some ways, I like that idea of only taking two shots with the set up I use. I know then that the fish is only out of the water for a maximum of 25 seconds and I use those two ten-second timers as a reminder/gauge. Remotes are definitely great, as long as folks remember the length of time that the fish has been out of the water for, and don't get too trigger happy and forget.....which I can see easily happening.

Cheers,

Justin

P.S. anything is better than the phone selfies, which undoubtedly cut off part of the fish - and generally the anglers head also, lol!

Limeyangler - I use a fairly basic and free editing software that came with the computer - Windows Movie Maker. Does a fairly decent job.

BillM - Good to know. Have only went so far as downloading the app. - had planned on giving it a try this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

Justin

I use a homemade rod holder, C clamp it to the front bow, use the extendable arm on my tripod with a quick realease (with ball-head swivel) 20 sec. timer.I keep the fish in the water, either net or still with a single hook lure still attached to his mouth. I find the hardest part is the focus, I try to focus on the motor or approximately where I'll be standing. I would never trust a tripod in open water and lose a $1000 camera. Thanks for the great tips...........

I use a homemade rod holder, C clamp it to the front bow, use the extendable arm on my tripod with a quick realease (with ball-head swivel) 20 sec. timer.I keep the fish in the water, either net or still with a single hook lure still attached to his mouth. I find the hardest part is the focus, I try to focus on the motor or approximately where I'll be standing. I would never trust a tripod in open water and lose a $1000 camera. Thanks for the great tips...........

Get a remote, you'll be able to lose the 20 sec delay and also you'll have zero focus issues.