Minn kota Power Drive

BFSC Kevin

I have a maxxum transom mount right now that i have at the back and sometimes hook up to the front with a home made bracket..

I'm thinking of picking up the MK power drive 40-55lb thurst one.. or power drive v2...

any comments on them?

and ALL powerdrives have the maximizer feature right?

someone i may purchase from says his doesn not have the maximizer feature... or is it just because he doesnt know?

and it appears his foot control is grey/black instead of the now standard black one?

Please help.

Kevin

I have a Minn Kota 55 lb Powerdrive. It's 3 yrs old and I blew up the controller (foot pedal) after about 2 years.

Warranty expired of course. The motor would turn one way only, which is cool if you're trying to make a whirlpool. I've read some reports from others who had the same issue. Replacement cost was around $125.00 if I remember right. It was the computer board that went in the controller so no chance to repair it. Other than that it's been a good motor. Maybe the V2 (newer version ???) has solved the problem with the fried boards.

I have a Minn Kota 55 lb Powerdrive. It's 3 yrs old and I blew up the controller (foot pedal) after about 2 years.

Warranty expired of course. The motor would turn one way only, which is cool if you're trying to make a whirlpool. I've read some reports from others who had the same issue. Replacement cost was around $125.00 if I remember right. It was the computer board that went in the controller so no chance to repair it. Other than that it's been a good motor. Maybe the V2 (newer version ???) has solved the problem with the fried boards.

Yikes-you have me nervous...I have the same motor...no probs yet though-touch wood.

I have a minn kota power drive 70 lb thrust bow mount. I bought it from a professional walleye fisherman. It came with his new boat for the year but he wanted a minn kotta terrova instead so I asked him what he was going to do and he said sell it so I bought it. I finally used it on the May long weekend and it seemed to work just fine. It takes a little getting used to though. Now you got me nervous, I hope there isnt a problem with them.

I have a power drive 74 with auto pilot and love it. As far as the maximizer feature I believe the first power drives did not have it but can not guarantee this. Also I have seen the older units with the grey/black foot pedal I thought it was faded but not sure. If you have the chance at the auto pilot I would recommend it.

I have a 65# thrust powerdrive that I love. However, with that said I would much prefer a cable steer model as a lot of the fishing I do is shallow water. I have started to notice that the powerdrive model with its electronic steering is spooking many fish. If I had the money I would exchange it for a cable steer model for this very reason.

I had the identical problem as Hooksets 55lb PD. After 3 years on my minn kota the foot pedal was toast.Replaced it last year ($125) and hope I don't get the same problem in another 3 years.LOL

Hopefully the newer models have eliminated this problem.

With the cable steer your not using a motor to turn the bowmount. This drains the battery a little quicker, and makes noise.

Cable drive, your leg muscles do the turning, and no noise.

I have a 55lb power drive, no probs yet, but I can say I would rather have the cable drive, just for battery life. The only thing I like with the power drive is the long cable on the foot pedal. Its nice to sit in the back of the boat and control the bowmount at times......

Sinker

Im sorry, i'm a bit confused on what you said Sinker.

cable steer are like the maxxum bow mount

and cable drive are like the power drive? with the 20' of wire?

but they differ how?

i'm totally newb to the bow mount foot controlling thing.

I have a OLD 22 year old Minn Kota cable steer motor on my Grumman. I has worked flawlessly over the years (cable drive is what most pros use). I have used power driven bow mounted electric trolling motors and didn't care for them. Every year I think my electric motor will need to be replaced because it does show some where and tear but every year it continues to perform.

I've used cable steer for years and have never ever had a single problem with them.

When I bought my current boat it came with a MinnKota PD 55 so I figured I'd give it an honest chance but never really liked it. I found it too slow to turn and to be honest, the constant whining noise when it was turning drove me nuts.

I also found it awkward to raise and lower compared to the rope pull on cable.

After the 1st year, the circuit board for the foot control was pooched and Aikmens told me that was a common problem with the PD's so I dumped it and went back to cable steer.

To be fair though, that was back in 2000, so maybe things have improved since then with the newer models

Lotsa guys like the PD's, so I spose they have their good points, but it just wasn't for me.

I prefer the KISS principle.

i have an older Power Drive unit on my boat as well it does take a pounding and still works very well.

as for pedal problems: every winter i take my pedal apart and use an electrical contact cleaning spray

i wait till it dries and then spray on some dielectric grease. it has'nt let me down yet it's over 10 years old.

and for cable drive units { guy wires like on a 10 speed} true totally quiet and turn much faster,

fairly easy to repair, if a cable breaks. helps preserve your battery 1 motor not 2.

disadvantage. short cable, sore leg after a 2 day tournament especially if it's windy.

Good Luck shoppin'

Muskieman...

Cable drive......you tilt the foot pedal front to back with your foot to turn the motor left to right. Cables pull the motor and turn it side to side. The foot pedal has shorter cables on it.

Power drive.....is an electric motor......which turns the bowmount left or right.They make noise when you turn, but are silent when just the prop is turning. The foot pedals seem to wear out or short with the added board for the steering in there......cable drives don't have that in the foot pedal.......

The part that sold me was I can sit in the back of the boat and control the bowmount for trolling slow.....

The power drive uses power from the battery to turn your bowmount.......draining your battery/ies faster than cable drive.

They're all good I guess......its more personal preference. If I was gonna get another one it would be cable drive.......prolly just because that's what i'm used to......this power drive is new to me this season.

I will say I am not fussy about the way the power drives go in and out of the water either......much easier/better with the cable drive where you just pull the rope and up it comes.....mine can be a pain in the butt to get out of the bracket, then slide into the water....

Hope that explains it better......

Sinker

We are new owners of the Power Drive and Maximizer was one of the reasons for buying it. It is stated on the box and in the booklet that it is Maximizer. We plan to get an auto pilot soon so that should solve the foot pedal going on us soon. It just plugs in to the side of the motor. We have ours mounted on the bow.

Pam

Edited by Pamela Dallaire

Cable drive......you tilt the foot pedal front to back with your foot to turn the motor left to right. Cables pull the motor and turn it side to side. ...

whats the diff between turning the motor left/right and it turning side to side?

thanks for the clarification thus far

Kevin by pushing the pedal with your toe or heel you make the motor turn left or right. Pam what you are talking about I believe is called co-pilot, basically a key fob that you can use to steer your motor with. Auto pilot is inside the motor and uses an internal compass to keep steering your motor towards the last heading that you steered it to.

If the wind is drifting you to the left the motor will automatically correct to the right to keep you on your original heading when the auto pilot is engaged.

the powerdrive has its purpose.

folks who use it for trolling, often for walleye, need the powerdrive.

the cable on the cable driven motors are really short.....if you have a tiller, its not reaching nearly the back of the boat.

i have the new V2 cable drive motor....picked it up last year. had the old PD for four years before that. used both plenty of times....

if your a strictly shallow water, weed fisherman, i can't see why you'd want a Power Drive...but if you want to use your trolling motor for other applications, which there are many, the powerdrive shines brightly over the cable driven model.

whats the diff between turning the motor left/right and it turning side to side?

thanks for the clarification thus far

No difference.......left to right...side to side...same thing. Didn't mean to confuse you further....LOL.

Sinker