Replacing boat floor

mike rousseau

It's much more expensive and won't be lighter than marine plywood.

I used 3/16" plate and 1/4" angle for support. I just happen to be fishing with the guy that bought my old boat this weekend and the vinyl clad aluminium is 100% while the 3/4" marine plywood for the casting deck is already deteriorating under the seat post mount after 6 years.

If you plan on keeping the boat, go for it. Be prepared to support the plate because is will flex underfoot without adequate support.

Mike I've been under a total restore all summer..still long way to go..But it was stripped right to the hull new foam and all...now the floors I thought about the aluminum ...its pricey but so is wood done right ..I went with 3/4 GIS.. two coats of west epoxy on both sides and perimeter,,, 3m 5200 any holes for seats screws over the epoxy etc...overkill..but i want it to last..the reason I did not go with the aluminum floor is the extra bracing required ..fit and finish ..and the noise..I work out of several all welded boats all day ..I like the comfort of wood and carpet..I've moved seats ..added seats...customized storage..its a good time to look at fuel ..bilge ..livewell hoses etc while your in there..good luck on your project

Think I'm gunna stick with wood...

I've got a garage lined up already for winter... Gunna limp till then...

That'll give me time to get carpet and other supplies on sale maybe...

Another question tho... Rivets or screw down the floor...? Currently it's got rivets... It is an older aluminum boat that gets banged around in rough water enough so I was worried about screws coming loose... Not sure if lock tight would hold with all the banging...

​My boat came from the manufacturer with all aluminium flooring.

​Way better than wood by far. All of the sub structure in my boat is also aluminium.

Decking is .125" (1/8") and carpet covered in my boat.

A lot of the West coast boats use aluminium checker plate decking with no covering.