2014's Late "GAR"rival Report.

Moosebunk

Looks like Rick, Pete, Bill, Chris & Rob will be up next spring. ROAD TRIP!!! Plenty space in the country here for pitching a tent and git'in yer gar on. :good: Bonfire, BBQ, beers and gar!!!

A lot of the guys who fly fish for them don't actually hook them, they just get wrapped up in the long streamers. I don't think I've even had a fish turn on a streamer, even though it's 6inches from his face.

On flies you miss like 75% Bill... probably way more actually. And waving the arms all about to cast oftentimes spooks them away. Thing is, the clearer and deeper the water I find, the less chance you have of getting them to turn even if you present the fly well. Those days after a wind had stirred up bays on the river to get them muddy, I find is best chance when gar are up sunning and visible. You can move in closer on the fish and more accurately cast to them. Not only that, they can't inspect the fly as easily and they snap at it not knowing better. Sometimes, they just keep following and snapping. Best places to sink a hook, tip of the snout or back into the mouth cause inbetween is a crap shoot.

I remember getting them to hit a small, floating rapala, slow retrieve, just under the surface, Turkey Point,

That'll work Chris... no question. But a slow retrieve rarely gets results actually, least not here. Neither does too fast though. The lure has to be moving and action just right, and rarely does pausing it beside the fish do anything but turn 'em off from biting it.

Same here. Twice this summer I encountered schools of them on the surface over 30plus feet of water. Nary a strike. The one time there were dozens of fish that we sat on for an hour casting everything we could think of trying to get a bite.

Rob... I have never fished or even seen them over that deep. Maybe run the odd one over accidentally ripping up and down the river. Again, if they were out over clear water they'd have been tougher to have bite regardless, but keeping at them is the right idea. Have those lures run just by their eye the same distance as their snout is long. Those fish must have been migrating to or from somewhere really, don't think they're really much for chasing after open water schools of fish at all... but then again...?

A mask while posing with a fish..........who does that!

Leah does that... and my goof buddy too. :w00t:

So you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm guessing they are going after big schools of shad. I've even brought out the 6wt and streamers and can't get one to go. It's discouraging.

We had a lot of time to discuss what we were seeing. I wonder if they are feeding on something other then fish, because the "rises" were not like fish being busted on the surface. Or a social thing. At least that's what we told ourselves as we left after over an hour of trying to catch them.

Great pics as usual Drew, loving the 1st one of the Gar with the trolling motor in the background.

Is the Rastafarian hat a tribute to Marcus GARvey?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/garvey_marcus.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqIoLKwXx_U

Edited by limeyangler

We had a lot of time to discuss what we were seeing. I wonder if they are feeding on something other then fish, because the "rises" were not like fish being busted on the surface. Or a social thing. At least that's what we told ourselves as we left after over an hour of trying to catch them.

Quote Wikipedia...

"As their vascularised swim bladders can function as lungs, most gars surface periodically to take a gulp of air, doing so more frequently in stagnant or warm water when the concentration of oxygen in the water is low. They also appear to surface in fast-moving rapids. As a result, they are extremely hardy and able to tolerate conditions that would kill most other fish."

Essentially Rob, they might just be breathing when you see them surfacing...

Great pics as usual Drew, loving the 1st one of the Gar with the trolling motor in the background.

Is the Rastafarian hat a tribute to Marcus GARvey?

Never heard of this dood Simon, but the name totally fits. Perfect find.

We were just going with the more known Bob Garley. Leah and I like singing Three Little Birds... our favorite.

Very nice report thank you for taking the time Drew. The gar over deep water are usually rolling to get air. They are catchable but are not actively feeding. The use of cotton corded jigheads or other methods that do not hook the fish but tangle in their teeth need to be used with caution if you are releasing them. Removing all of the fibers is needed so they can feed correctly.

Art

Quote Wikipedia...

"As their vascularised swim bladders can function as lungs, most gars surface periodically to take a gulp of air, doing so more frequently in stagnant or warm water when the concentration of oxygen in the water is low. They also appear to surface in fast-moving rapids. As a result, they are extremely hardy and able to tolerate conditions that would kill most other fish."

Essentially Rob, they might just be breathing when you see them surfacing...

Familiar with their ability to breathe air. With the O2 levels not an issue in the lake I never really thought of it though. :dunno: