N/F Wood splitting

OhioFisherman

Just curious, has anyone used one of these?

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Licksplit-Maul-12-Lb-p7OAIAY.aspx

My experience with wood splitting goes back some time, the good old days of the Sotz Monster Maul. Although that company was local they no longer seem to be in business, and finding an original Monster Maul is a rarity here even at garage sales or flea markets.

Heck I even did it with wedges and a sledge hammer, kids these days seem to think it's a lot of work.

Never used or seen that one in link. Why so special? Just the extra weight? I have a 10lbs maul. Works fine, but I still need a wedge/sledge for some of the yellow birch and oak. I'm predicting some kind of splitter in the future but can't justify cost just yet.

Well the Monster Maul had a steel handle and was 15lbs? A 38 inch handle for more leverage. Some of the cheaper steel handled ones I have seen only have a 30 inch handle, which seems to be an issue in a lot of the reviews. Pretty much indestructible and perhaps we have a lot more hardwoods down here than you do up there?

My son and his buddy have been handling the wood splitting, they have already broken a wood and fiberglass handle. I don't think they have a good aim? Neither can cast worth crap either! LOL

My splitting and casting days are over too! I am hoping a steel handled one would be more bulletproof for them to use.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Yea my dad got tired of replacing axe handles; so he went and found a steel pipe and had it welded to the head of the maul.

We couldn't break it but we did manage too put a bend in it. LOL

It seemed to come natural for us 3 boys to fine ways of pissing pops off.

Dan.

I use to swing a 15lb maul for years splitting upward of 40 cord a year. On a bad day, and in a bad mood, I could snap 3 wooden handles in a morning. Wife bought me an axe with the "indestructible" fiberglass handle. It lasted a week before the handle started to crack inside the head and the head began to slip

My brother had a tree service for a few years and I used to help him out, the monster maul worked great. Once he took on a really big job the did get a hydraulic log splitter, some pieces just seemed easier to split on the ground than lift on the splitter.

Mom and dad had a spare garage 250 feet behind their home with a drive back to it. It became wood city, we had split wood on both sides of the drive back to it. We had better luck clearing an 8 acre ravine for a lake site than the guy did with the lake, his dam washed out the first year.

I ordered one, it seems like the way to go, have to see if the boys can break it? LOL

It came this morning and they used it this evening, said it works great! and they haven't broken it yet! LOL

Just curious, is there a special type of steel pipe to use for a handle? I have two 8 pounders I might have it done to. I am thinking a little longer handle on them might make them more effective and if it's steel?

Edited by OhioFisherman

I suppose a verticle splitter would be handy for mid sized logs (too big to really lift, but not impossibly big like 36" diam.)

As far as splitting in half, it kind of defeats the purpose. Logs that size can be chipped away, not split in half. Plus a half still weights like 100-150lbs.

The other obstacle is that they are deep in the bush, through some rough trails, not sure working a splitter would be easy to work with out there.

sledge and a wedge will split almost anything. If its got a straight grain, it will split. I'm working on yellow birch right now. Its tough as nails!! No match for the hydraulics, but its tough stuff. My splitter can be used horizontal or vertical. Pretty handy for those huge gnarly chunks.

S.