What would be your best Laker trolling Lure

davey buoy

I fish a cottage country shield lake for lakers. I choose cheqper lures because the lake bottom is snaggy. 3-5 inch spoons in gold. silver or combo work especially the hammered finishes. Spoons that are lighter so they drop slower and flutter on stops and turns. I use some of the old school Lucky Strike spoons like the "Warden's Worry" -i liked the name. Also minnow baits like bombers in natural colours work. The darker and gray colours produce best, maybe looks like a baby laker that the bigger fish eat. Agree that the fish are either on or off. I typically get a hit in the first 15 minutes trolling or struggle for 2-3 hours. I'd add that the locals run either steel or copper with a gang troll, large spoon with no hook and a minnow threaded onto a dropper look.

Edited by turtle

Anything shiny that wobbles while trolled will catch Lake Trout. I'd pay more attention to boat speed, and how your lure of choice reacts to boat speed, than solely what's on the end of your line. Biggest Lake Trout that I've seen caught was 34 lbs. on an inch and a half green and brown muddler pattern crank bait. Nothing shiny about it, but it was in the right place at the right time. As a side note, it was caught on an ultra light with 6 lb. test. and would have smashed the current c&r line class record at the time, had it been kept and recorded. Another interesting moment that I had with Lakers was a few years back in late May when there was a huge mayfly hatch occurring. Being late May in northwestern Ontario, the fish were up high, but they were gorging on mayflies. Ever fly fished with a spinning rod? We did that day and slayed them. Like any other fish, it's not a magic lure that will catch them. It's understanding and knowing what the fish are up to on the day that you are there.

I fish mostly shield lakes as well and lake trout can be very picky at times so like others have said when there on , there on and when there

off , there off . I am a firm believer in fishing with the lightest line possible as well , lake trout might be a little short in the smarts department

but they have excellent vision . Just last month I was up north fishing lake trout and we were all nailing them , my partner broke off a fish and

he didn't tie a flouro leader back on but just tied direct to his braid . Guess what , no more fish for him until he tied that leader back on !!!

As for lures that I find to be good on my lakes : Red and Silver Williams Trophy Spoon , Red and Gold Cleo and just this past spring I couldn't

keep them off of a Rapala Silver Husky Jerk ( 3 inch ) Good luck !

Here are a couple pictures of some of the lures I use in my lake trout waters

P5190417_zps040eb03f.jpg

The williams spoon in this picture has a streamer fly tied to it ( works when things slow down ) The jigs I use when I can locate a bunch on the finder (usually in the summer months)

P5190249_zps2fff8c20.jpg

Edited by 4x4bassin