Kawartha Lakes Walleye Update! - Pics

Slayingm

Wow..... what a difference a few days of warmer temps can make on setting up ideal Walleye conditions. Sinceothe May 12th opener the Kawartha lakes average water temps and weed growth has really progressed and along with it came some exceptional Walleye action. I have fished a number of the lakes the past 2 weeks and found the fish and cover to be somewhat scattered the 1st 3 days or so.... we still got into some really nice fish but had to work extra slowwww and stay right on the outside and inside weed and rock/sand transistions. This past weekend I marked surface temps as warm as 74' in the shallows and found the bite to be really agressive and hot. In fact the action on the weekend was some of the best I have seen in 20 years here as we enjoyed some double headers and at 1 point caught 16 Walleye in 25min.

All the fish we caught were taken on various jigs and NOT tipped with any live bait. Head and plastic body combinations of White/Pink/Black/Smoke/Yellow and Chartreuse all produced well with the lighter colours working best with the bright sunshine. All the fish were relating to weeds and were taken in 3 to 13' of water. I did try a number of excellent rock humps but found that the Walleye were just not relating to them yet.....that said I suspect that will change over the next 2 weeks or so.

Attached is a couple of client pics from the past few days with fish taken under very different conditions.... one was sunny and calm ... the other raining, cool with a strong N.E. wind!

The action should be great over the next month so get out and enjoy the water and some great Walleye fishing action. :thumbsup_anim:

000_0294-5.jpg

100_0079-5.jpg

Take care and Good Fish'n...Greg.

Have to agree with what Greg stated, took a trip up with the family to Sturgeon lake for the U.S. holiday weekend. All eyes were caught on natural colored jigs and tubes in areas relating to weeds. Drifted some rock flats and humps which were good at this time last year without success, only caught OOS smallies. No whoppers were caught, all good size eating fish, but they were released to be caught another day. There was a tournament being run out of Bobcaygeon on Saturday, looks like some of the boats were coming in with bags of fish. Will be back up in the Fall, this time for skis and eyes ........

Tom

Guest Johnny Bass

You are definately the pickeral expert! Now that I am becoming a meat eater, I will start targetting them more often also!

Well, I have to admit, I'm impressed! We fished hard Saturday and Sunday morning, weed edges, in the weeds, transitions, shallows, deeper water and several points in between. We tried jigs of many colors and sizes as well as several other types of presentations and even live bait. We landed a total of 3 walleye and didn't see many others caught by any other boats that happened to be in the places we tried.

Guess I am going to re think the way I fish walleye in the Kawarthas.

Well done greg,you sure got them dialed in. :clapping: ...man for what walleyes i have caught since the opener,man i have had to work really hard for them as well....and yes i did finally figure out that trolling very slllooowwww.. :blink: ...was the ticket,and you sure had some happy customers there,thanks for the very detailed walleye report....great pics as well....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Cliff,

We caught all our eyes along the weed beds and little weed pockets along the south east shoreline. Two gentlemen that were staying at Gil Mar did well just before nightfall and at night along the same shoreline trolling harness's. Not sure if you ever travel down that area of the lake.

Tom

ccmtcanada: Was not Scugog althought I love that lake for eyes and did very well there last year.... have been focussing on Camerson, Tri-lakes, Sturgeon and Balsam.....G.

Tipupesox - Great job and best of luck on your fall Ski and Eye trip!

Johnny Bass: Best eating fresh water fish for sure.....Good luck on your future outing(s)!

Big Cliff - Remember to be flexible try to differnt jig weight and body combinations.... the Walleye's change sometime hourly so you need to todo also.... I usally have 20 rod/reel combo's rigged on the boat and keep switching to find the 'Best combo' for that particular time.....good luck...Greg.

Greencoachdog: You are bang-on!... nothing can replace consistent time on the water to figure out exactly where the Walleyes are and what and how they want their jigs presented!....Good luck to all and be safe out there.....Greg.