Lake Nipissing Walleye, sigh.

Kingsalmon

I guess I need to re-read the constitution, especially the part that allows for this crap:

caledonia_pairs_claimsdisputed.jpeg.size

070120-dce-cupe-steelworkers-flag.jpg

Can't change laws that some folks choose not to follow.

The laws are in place. They are clear. Don't need to change them. Just need to have EVERYONE follow them.

Very well said. A similar problem is occuring here in Renfrew County at Golden Lake, once a great walleye fishery. The Golden Lake "First Nations" reserve raped them, a restocking program was attempted (one that had excellent results in another lake close by, Lake Clear) to no avail. I guess the walleye "migrated" to another area, or the anglers got smarter, or the cormorants ate them all...

I have a "status native" that lives down the road from me, owns his own electrical company which I assume is doing well enough. His driveway is lined with moose skulls that he harvests every few weeks. It is a disgusting display. We all know what has happened to the moose population in area 55, don't we? He doesn't need the right to illegally harvest these animals...he is more than able to feed his family without this nonsense.

With the money that is spent annually on the Indian Act (would put the $1B spent on the CBC to shame...) and to still have this nonsense going on is beyond ridiculous. Lots of bad stuff went on in the past. Life isn't fair. We don't owe you anything.

We are Canadians. One people, one law.

Edited by Spanky

I guess then it is agreed that the problem is overfishing, the debate then becomes by whom?

Nippissing and Temagami FN seem to take the brunt for both of those lakes, but what about all the others? Anyone who fishes anywhere in Ontario has to admit the fish don't bite like they did 30 years ago, no matter where you go except maybe Lake Erie. Of course they are still there if you know where to look, but even with all of the stocking programs one would think the bite would be better than it is most days.

Worst part is that no matter what got us to this point, we have no choice but to let the fish replenish for a few years. I sport fish so for me it's no big deal. Hopefully things turn around.

Tony

I don't disagree guys, I'm just amazed that the whole focus is the ministry and the natives! Does anyone give creedance to decades of anglers harvesting fish? Even the mere suggestion seems to get smashed to the ground. There are tens of thousands of people keeping fish every day, and they do it year after year after year. When most of these species require 10-15 years to reach a decent size basic math knowledge would suggest its not entirely the indians and the government!

I don't disagree guys, I'm just amazed that the whole focus is the ministry and the natives! Does anyone give creedance to decades of anglers harvesting fish?

The whole focus ISN'T the ministry and natives...has the possession limits not been reduced and slot/maximum size limits introduced for us "non-natives", while they continue merrily on taking spawning fish and totally ignoring these measures in an attempt to rejuvenate the fishery?

I would talk some common sense about Golden Lake but I realize this thread was about Nipissing

Because I and my relatives got to witness 1st hand how Natives that looked very much like southern Ontario white guys snagged "Huge spawning walleyes out of the Bonnechere river at Deacon in the 70's and filled the backs of pick up trucks...with the motto---If we don't take em--somebody else will

See finger pointing goes many ways

Golden lake is not that big...and yes the nets do hurt the fishery---but so do all the camps...cottages ...trailer parks...that hit the lake relentlessly from opener to ice--and don't forget the ice huts that leave lines in 24/7

Again---easy to find the easy villain

Sorry for being off topic a tad.

Grumpy, they ain't stocking very much.

Not to argue with you Glen and I don't know how this compares to the past but I just read an article in out local paper about stocking in Ontario that was submitted by the OFAH. It states that our community hatcheries stocked more than 13 million fish in Ontario in 2013. Now I don't know how this spread out as I imagine the great lakes get a fair share of that, but it still seems like a good number of fish being stocked.

Cheers

I remember renting a cottage near Elk Lake On in the 80's

It was at lost lake----walleye fishing at the time sucked---the owner was pushing the fact that area camp owners were running a walleye hatchery to replenish the stocks so they could stay open

There was No nets on these smaller lakes---pressure got them to that point

But again--this is about Nip

O

The whole focus ISN'T the ministry and natives...has the possession limits not been reduced and slot/maximum size limits introduced for us "non-natives", while they continue merrily on taking spawning fish and totally ignoring these measures in an attempt to rejuvenate the fishery?

And they only reduced it this year, last minute even. Apparently this fishery has been in trouble for a decade now, a bit late in the game to go drastic. Before passing judgement everyone has to wait a few years now to see if this measure works. For all we know the restriction to anglers is all that is needed, assuming everyone respects it. Like it or not Natives have prior rights, and that's an entirely different discussion not even related to sport fishing. If changes are to be made those of us who do it for fun will be the first hit in every case. Crying that Natives should get smacked as well is sour grapes until we know the current efforts aren't enough.

Believing that "natives" actually use the fishery for their own "sustainability" (assuming the billions of taxpayers money isn't enough), is completely naive and indicates a lack of knowledge of what is really going on. Suggesting that anglers (and those that earn their living from the fishery such as resorts owners, fishing stores and generally the local economy, those that DON'T have their hand out looking for the taxpayer to continually bail them out) should reduce their limits while NFN doesn't...I'm lost for words on that one.

I have read in a local cottagers newsletter that a native was confronted this past winter illegally netting on a lake near Nippissing, and that there is a potential for a lot of those roadside pickerel stands to be selling the spoils of his nets. Definitely a bigger problem than just one facet, as has been discussed here.

O

And they only reduced it this year, last minute even. Apparently this fishery has been in trouble for a decade now, a bit late in the game to go drastic. Before passing judgement everyone has to wait a few years now to see if this measure works. For all we know the restriction to anglers is all that is needed, assuming everyone respects it. Like it or not Natives have prior rights, and that's an entirely different discussion not even related to sport fishing. If changes are to be made those of us who do it for fun will be the first hit in every case. Crying that Natives should get smacked as well is sour grapes until we know the current efforts aren't enough.

Mmmm..a well thought out response...leaning towards tolerance....understanding and the law of the land....deals struck before Any of us were born

Grumpy....I may just save ya a seat in my boat (long as ya don't mind be blindfolded to the spot :) )

You're very convinced Net, I'm guessing there's more at play here than just a fishery by your choice of words. Severely off topic, and I'll keep it short, but they have a legal document that entitles them to what they do, we do not. Arguing that their document shouldn't be valid anymore cuz those who made it are long dead is like saying neither should the Constitution or most of our laws, as they were made by people long dead as well.

Blaming one group that you accuse of being non-contributing tax theives speaks for itself.

Tony

Mmmm..a well thought out response...leaning towards tolerance....understanding and the law of the land....deals struck before Any of us were born

Grumpy....I may just save ya a seat in my boat (long as ya don't mind be blindfolded to the spot :) )

If both you fellows are unable to catch yourselves a feed of walleye on your fishing trip to Nipissing, fret not, on your way back south there are a couple roadside stands set up where you can purchase some! :good:

Can I buy live ones so I can put them on my hook and enjoy the catching.

We'd like to help you Glen, but by some folks definition here, as a sport angler who wants to preserve the fishery you are a second-class citizen and your opinion doesn't matter. Sorry..... :blush:

Edited by Spanky

If both you fellows are unable to catch yourselves a feed of walleye on your fishing trip to Nipissing, fret not, on your way back south there are a couple roadside stands set up where you can purchase some! :good:

Funny thing....I usually catch walleyes when I set out for them...lots of lakes in Ontario with lots of walleyes---ya want one near Pembroke??--I can catch 3-8 lbers with regularity

I don't fish Nip---Too many people (maybe that's another part of the problem)...and I'm like an OFC member here from the Kawarthas...I really don't want to be around people...cept I don't hunt ducks

Funny thing....I usually catch walleyes when I set out for them...lots of lakes in Ontario with lots of walleyes---ya want one near Pembroke??--I can catch 3-8 lbers with regularity

Thanks Bushart...I know a few of those lakes too in this area. We sure are lucky.

We humans have the capacity to be extremely greedy. It doesn't matter the skin color or nationality. Given the opportunity there will always be a percentage of people who take unfair advantage, who cheat. Western society is ill with the "traditional values be damned gotta get mine" flu.

Edited by doubleheader

30 or 40 boats all year?

There isn't a single one there right now and there wasn't any last night when I went by either.

The only time I see it busy is in the spring, and probably not 30 or 40 boats.

I agree with that.

And don't pick on the USA tourists, most of the ones I know are great folks.

Thank you Bernie!

I buy the sportsman license every year so we can fish for muskies. So far in 12 years I have skunked some of the greatest muskie fisherman on the board. I also buy it so my money will go towards making the fisheries better. I fish down here for many kinds of fish that range from the sunfish to the might blue catfish that can reach 80 lbs around here. Our exotic fish is the Snakehead and it is on the must kill list here but it is thankfully an excellent tasting fish.

Art

I buy the sportsman license every year so we can fish for muskies. So far in 12 years I have skunked some of the greatest muskie fisherman on the board. I also buy it so my money will go towards making the fisheries better. I fish down here for many kinds of fish that range from the sunfish to the might blue catfish that can reach 80 lbs around here. Our exotic fish is the Snakehead and it is on the must kill list here but it is thankfully an excellent tasting fish.

Art

:clapping: