American eel

LOL...'ledgering'.....thats a term a have not heard in years.....thanks....trip down memory lane. I used to stay up all night too, our house backed on to the Thames at Putney. I guy from across the street caught some HUGE ones on cheese or liver, i would just dig up worms in the garden and catch 'bootlace' eels all night.

Was never a fan of them, could never get past the look, smell and texture. Tried smoked a few times when I lived in Holland...pretty good.

Used to catch big ones in local rivers in the North but much bigger ones in canals on Norfolk Broads. Cheese and Liver was too expensive for me.........:-) I used to dig redworms and brandlings out of farmers dung piles and use a big gob of them on a #8 worm hook throw it out and wait. A little like catfishing.

Love Putney....the neighbourhood ain't what it used to be though. Couldn't afford to live there these days. My sister lives in West Hampstead....she had to have that NW6 post code!

Smoked a few things in Holland but eel wasn't one of them...lol

American Eel has a very interesting biology. They leave fresh water when they mature and make there way to the Saragossa Sea roughly between Venezuela, Florida and Portugal. The female lays millions on eggs and dies.

The young drift and swim there way to the St Lawrence and to all the places talked about. They have found American Eel in Lake Simcoe. We caught them at the mouth of Whitby Metal Health when kids.

Went whale watching last year and they consume tons of eels on there journey to fresh water.

In Cape Cod eels 14-16 inches long are referred to crack cocaine for stripe bass.

When they get to fresh water they are 6 inch +- and green pumpkin in colour so likely why that colour works.