Need some trip planning advice

MJL

Hi guys

I'm in need some advice regarding an upcoming trip around the middle of August. It won't be a fishing trip although I would like to do some fishing. My dad and I will have a day to fish around both Sault Ste Marie and Thunder bay. We're wondering what we might be able to catch in the Soo rapids and around Thunder Bay that time of year - We'll be fishing from shore. I figure it's a little early for steelhead and maybe a little too warm for trout.

Also are there any tackle shops or neat touristy things worth visiting between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder bay?

After that, we'll be driving through Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton (Whitecourt area to visit my aunt), Hinton, Kamloops, Vancouver (We'll have 1 day to fish around Vancouver). Any places worth making a short detour to wet a line in and outside of Ontario?

Thanks

Mike

Well, this is going back a few years, actually quite a few but here goes (perhaps someone can verify one way or the other)

I use to really enjoy going up to Wawa, North/West of town on 17 the White River crosses the highway. We would often park on the right just after crossing the bridge going West and fish a pool at the corner of the river. It isn't very big but we caught a lot of walleye right there off shore mid summer.

In BC, we went to Pender Harbour and rented a boat, it was only 14' with a 25 on it but it was a good stable boat. There is an island not too far from the marina (you can see it no problem). We went out there and anchored and used herring for bait, wh were just slamming them. the only problem we had was we only had light spinning tackle and rods with us. between my son and I we lost probably 6 but he did manage to land a nice 5 or 6 pounder. Not bad for a 7 year old. When we got back to shore a very nice man sensing that I had NO idea what I was doing showed me how to clean it.

The boat rental wasn't expensive, I think it was something like $40.00 for 6 hours. Might be more now, that was a long time ago.

Regardless, get ready to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery (Ontario not to be excluded) and even the praries have a beauty of their own. My favorite though is still the mountains and almost any little stream you come across will house some nice trout.

Please keep us posted!

Im, not much help with the fishing, but having done that drive last month, your in for an adventure!

You should be able to book a sturgeon trip on thhe fraser for your day in Van. I used STS guiding, and it was incredible! Check it out if you can. I know you like your trout/salmon, but you can catch them anywhere. Sturgeon, not so much!!

Safe travels!!

S.

Soo rapids in the summer = atlantics!!

Also, the mouths of all the rivers north if the soo could potentially have coaster brookies and salmon/steelhead depending on wind and water temps. While you drive through LSPP there are a few stocked lakes you could fish right off the hwy like Mom/Dad/Baby and Rabbitt Blanket

Thanks for the info guys...Really appreciate it :)

Nipigon river is definitely on my to-fish spots on the way. I've been dreaming of catching a big brookie since I was a kid.

Shayne, I'm definitely interested in doing some sturgeon fishing on the Fraser. We plan to be staying in Richmond, BC for at least 1 night with a free day to fish. 1 of my top 50 things to do before I die is to catch a fish bigger than me.LOL

Looks like after we hit up Vancouver, it's down to Portland Oregon, then San Francisco for a brief stop and then Yosemite for a couple days. I'll be bringing along a ton of camera gear so hopefully I'll have some cool pics and videos when I return.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for the info guys...Really appreciate it :)

Nipigon river is definitely on my to-fish spots on the way. I've been dreaming of catching a big brookie since I was a kid.

Shayne, I'm definitely interested in doing some sturgeon fishing on the Fraser. We plan to be staying in Richmond, BC for at least 1 night with a free day to fish. 1 of my top 50 things to do before I die is to catch a fish bigger than me.LOL

Looks like after we hit up Vancouver, it's down to Portland Oregon, then San Francisco for a brief stop and then Yosemite for a couple days. I'll be bringing along a ton of camera gear so hopefully I'll have some cool pics and videos when I return.

Many thanks :)

Richmond isn't far from chilliwack. Maybe an hour or so ish. Book a trip, you won't regret it!!!!

Other than the sturgeon on the Fraser, I have no desire at all to return to that part of BC. Its just another concrete jungle.

Bring lots of memory for the camera, you'll use it!!! lol

S.