Small lake, lake trout suggestions please

Dave Bailey

Never fished for them in my life, but I'll have a chance this weekend. We're heading to Silent Lake PP, and allegedly there are lakers in there. I know I have to go deeeeep, but that's about it. Don't bother with suggestions on rods, reels, or line choices, I'm limited in that regard to what I've got. I'm looking for lure choices and set-ups.

Oh, and please, keep it simple, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer! :P

On smaller lakes, you typically won't have to go quite as deep as on larger lakes. Run 2 or 3 oz bell sinkers on a 3 way swivel and whatever you like behind it. I like gangtrolls and williams. I tried experimenting with a snelled gulp minnow behind a williams trophy spoon with good results.

Troll slow

On smaller lakes, you typically won't have to go quite as deep as on larger lakes. Run 2 or 3 oz bell sinkers on a 3 way swivel and whatever you like behind it. I like gangtrolls and williams. I tried experimenting with a snelled gulp minnow behind a williams trophy spoon with good results.

Troll slow

Exactly, on Silent Lake, 40 to 60 feet is common, and even shallower in the evenings, with the cooler nights preceding this weekend and the water temps those depts should be pretty close, along with bells sinkers, bottom bouncers in the same weights should have you scraping the sand

Ok, there is a small island. In the evening anchor about 100 yards off the island (away from the shore side). Very light line, a small hook, and a minnow (no swivel, no weights at all). You will have to "lob" the minnow out then pay out lots of line so the minnow can swim free. Then sit back and wait.

Lake trout will come out of the deeper water to feed in the evening. I landed one in Flack Lake (Elliott Lake) weighing 19 lbs 7 oz on 4 lb test line doing just that. Mind you, we were allowed motors and had to chase it several times because it was spooling me. When you see the line start to run, set the hook!

very curious how you do. i do daytrips up there frequently with my fiancee without jack to show. i throw all of my usual tricks at that lake, particularly all of which produces lakers in august in Algonquin PP, but never any luck in that lake. It lives up to its name for me in fishing!