Rice brother's summer Nipissing trip

kickingfrog

We usually hit the walleye in early June and do well. This year that never worked out but we were able to squeeze in a couple of nights and 1 full day of fishing. I can't remember the last time I was on Nipissing when musky and bass season's were open. :dunno:

The adventure starts.

IMAG1363_zpsbf5eccd6.jpg

Always a tough walleye bite when this happens:

DSCN0399_zps79d0e958.jpg

That's the remnants of the mayfly hatch. Both the bass and the walleye were stuffed full of them.

Still had some topwater action.

DSCN0382_zpsa41263e5.jpg

My biggest bass in a long time was while I was solo and no camera. Nice 21 inch smallmouth on a zara just before dark. Funny, with all the fishing we do together all of my biggest fish the last 2 years have all been while fishing by myself. Thinking he's bad luck.

Because of the mayflies my brother went with a crayfish crankbait. Caught one eye casting in five feet of water.

DSCN0388_zps751577c1.jpg

And he caught this one drifting with the same crank behind a bottom walker in 20 feet.

DSCN0395_zps8bbdb532.jpg

Drifting a small jointed rapala behind the bottom walker.

DSCN0393_zps51f4fd72.jpg

I used the slowdeath hook and a gulp worm behind the bottom walker and caught a few small eyes with it.

DSCN0397_zps6f444313.jpg

Casting a x-rap in a new spot.

DSCN0402_zpse1843d9f.jpg

Casting a cicada (newly purchased at Cabelas because I knew the mayflies were hatching) on a shoal.

DSCN0390_zpsabafaa86.jpg

DSCN0391_zps180e0393.jpg

Remember, wear sunscreen.

IMAG1364_zps3a5e8a29.jpg

Many fishermen spend all their lives without realising it's not fish they are after.

IMAG1366_zps482908d3.jpg

Until the next time...

DSCN0403_zps736c1fc0.jpg

Edited by kickingfrog

You & your brother have some great times together Rob, I always enjoy reading your fishing tales.

How were the weeds this trip, I was up on the West Arm a few weeks back and they were practically non-existant ??

Very well done, including the skin on Bro's face. I miss Nippissing, it's been 20 years now. Need to fight that traffic and get up there.

Great trip, great report. You 2 guys look like a before and after makeover on Steven and Chris. Cool how 2 guys can be so different and be so much alike at the same time.

yup, gorgeous scenery and sunsets always makes up for slow bite. and btw, are you and your brother keeping a running tally ;)

I don't. Don't think he does. We pay enough attention to know who did "better" on a particular day but we also try to use 2 different tactics at the same time.

Very well done, including the skin on Bro's face. I miss Nippissing, it's been 20 years now. Need to fight that traffic and get up there.

Great trip, great report. You 2 guys look like a before and after makeover on Steven and Chris. Cool how 2 guys can be so different and be so much alike at the same time.

Yep, I'm Felix and he is Oscar.

Looks like a great time with some quality wally fishing. Good average size for nip too, some of them must have made the cut for the new slot?

Compared to early June when we normally fish the fish were smaller and didn't go after the trolled baits at all. We kept 2 of the 4 legal fish.

Awesome report

Those walleye look tasty...

They were.