White cedar/Red cedar

Big Cliff

I have to replace some railings on my deck, the pressure treated stuff that was supposed to last 40 years hasn't lasted 12. I am trying to decide if I should use white cedar (about $0.20/foot less than red). From those in the know; is there any big advantage to using red over white? Should they be treated with a wood sealer(Grants or Thompsons)? If so, should it be all surfices or only the exposed ones?

I would appreciate any help or info!

Big Cliff

As an after thought: I have used red cedar for BBQing salmon and trout, does white cedar work as well?

Edited by Big Cliff

ipe is expensive and is a pain to work with.. Ever see wood shatter? It is that hard.

G

Yes it is expensive but you save money in the long run. Its not PT or Cedar everything must be predrilled (no hammering) and your tools must be sharp. I've worked with it a lot and the end result is always worth it.

My experience is that cedar will not last any longer than the p.t. the cedar bought today is from young reforested trees. They do not have the tannens that an old growth cedar has, giving it a natural rot resistance. As far as sealers go, unless you have an old can that will do the job, 2 years or older, the new regulations have made the current products inferior. Gov't mandate of low VOC's has turned most products into latex based, and from what I have seen most will not last one winter. The old products you could get 2-3 years out of. As stated there are many other products than wood if desired, be prepared to pay for them. Some composite products are junk also, with a organic base and wax, which will mold and fade in a short time. Generally speaking you get what you are paying for in composite. Some, like trex, as stated have a wide range of product..junk to not to bad. As for the cedar, IMO i wouldnt pay the extra for it vs p.t. 12 years ago puts you right about when there was a change in p.t. also, may have some factor may not.

Well, I don't want to use PT at all, I have a couple of retaining walls made out of those 3 X 5 mini ties, they lasted 10 years and are so rotten you can crush them with your hands. Won't be using them ever again!

The top rails on both my front and rear decks are made of 2 X 6 PT, the wood is rotten where ever there is a joint (and yes we did paint the cut ends with PT stuff.) It seems that anywhere we had a flower pot or anything sitting on the wood it rotted.

The decking is in pretty good shape for the most part, (no signs of rot anywhere) so that is why I am thinking of just replacing the top railings with cedar.

I can get white cedar 2 X 6 locally for $1.55/' or red cedar from Castle Building Supply for $1.85/'. Other than a picnic table I built a couple of years ago with white cedar (which has stood up beautifully) I have never done much wood work so thought it best to seek the advice of the pros.

I really don't think I want to spend a lot of money on some of these newer products when the rest of my decks are still going to be the old PT stuff.