Lund Fury 1600

mattyk

I ran an 16 foot SSV with a 30 for a good long while. I believe the fury is a heavier boat. I had floors in mine, but that's it. The 30 two stroke pushed it well enough, but I wouldn't have wanted any less than that. IMHO you'd want a 40hp 4 stroke to be really happy wih that boat. I think a 25 would be a bit disappointing with anything more than just yourself and a light load in it.

I'd definitely go to at least a 40....50 if you can.

I've had an Alumacraft 16.5' Pro Magnum tiller for 15 years. Had a 50 Yam 4stroke for first 10- 11, now have a 60.

Go as high (within boat recommendations) as you can afford. You will be happier in the long run.

Good luck, and have fun.

I have the Fury 1600 tiller. Mercury 40 horsepower four stroke.

Personally I think you would be very dissapointed with only a 25 on a boat of this weight and size.

As it is mine runs out at roughly 30 mph with three large men and all of our gear.

My previous boat was much lighter with a 25 Yamaha two stroke. This one burns about the same amount of fuel.

Got chased off of Quinte a couple of times last month by some major thunderstorms. When you need to get off the water in a hurry, it'll get you there!

Edited by kwikfish

I looked at this exact boat at a dealer the other day. It is built like a solid boat and will echo that the 25 won't be enough. If you were looking at a boat that didn't have the casting decks in it, a 25 would probably be fine, but the added weight from the casting deck and storage would make this boat perform terribly.

I would have to agree with the majority here. A 25 HP will likely disappoint.

I used to rent a Legend 16' that looked almost exactly the same as that size and layout. It had a 25 HP 2 Stroke with no Tilt/Trim. The boat did plane but that's about it. My GPS reported that with 2 guys and a light load (a couple of tackle boxes) we managed about 22 MPH. It was uncomfortable at speed with any chop on the water, but that is also partly due to the style of boat. I recommend at least the 40.

So, as I said my 16 tinny with floors and a console and platform (all heavy) moves great with a 40. I had rented a boat earlier this season a 14' with a 20 or 25 and I could easily see being disappointed after a while. I know its easy for us to say as you are paying...but amortized over the length of time you will likely own it, will make it more palpable and you wont regret it..