Trailer chain question NF.

Raycaster

Putting the finishing touch ups on my pontoon trailer and I had a gentleman inform me that the chains from the trailer must be secured with links after looped under the vehicles hitch etc.

I have the standard "S" ends that I latch on making snug.

Talked to UHaul and they said the "S" ends are fine.

Just might go grab a pair anyways but does anyone have info on this?

Thanks.

You can get away with S hooks but it is possible for them to come off.

I use the type of hooks with spring clips on my boat trailers and use Quick Links on my snowmobile trailer.

Spring Clips: http://www.basspro.com/Trailer-Safety-Chains-with-Spring-Clips/product/1108311649143/

Quick Links: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shoreline-stainless-steel-quicklink-5-16-in-0799044p.html#.U5csc3JdVGE

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/trailer.shtml

Safety chains should be crossed under the tongue to prevent the tongue from dropping to the road should the primary hitch accidentally disconnect. It is recommended that chain hooks have latches or devices that prevent accidental disconnect. The breaking strength of each chain should equal the gross weight of the towed trailer. (See: Farm Vehicles and Equipment and The Highway Traffic Act, Appendix A - chain grades charts.) Chains are required for goose neck type trailers that utilize a ball and socket type hitch. Fifth-wheel type hitches that have safety latches do not require safety chains.

I was not ticketed but strongly advised by OPP when I brought my boat up from the US to fish in Canada to change the S hooks to carabine clips. They worked so well I use them all the time now.

Art

Many years ago,(1977) I was trailering a 14' tinny, empty. It was a very windy day, and only got worse as the day went on. So bad that a gust of wind actually flipped the boat and trailer upside down! I pulled over on #6 north, righted what was left. (trailer damaged and twisted, boat bent and scraped), and limped into a motel nearby.

I don't know how the 'S' hooks held, but they did. Caribiners would have been much better, and are cheap. I never ever thought that the trailer would actually flip, but it did. Anything that you can do to keep your towed vehicle from entering an oncoming lane is paramount.

I was not ticketed but strongly advised by OPP when I brought my boat up from the US to fish in Canada to change the S hooks to carabine clips. They worked so well I use them all the time now.

Art

You were not ticketed because you commited no offence.

Yes the S hooks are not the best option but they are still legal.

Be careful what type of carabiners you use. MOST of them are crap. They are made wit aluminum and will not hold the weight of the trailer, if it comes unhitched. Go to an industrial supply store that carries rigging equipment and get some that are rated for whatever weight your trailer is.

At work, we cannot use anything that is rated for less than 5000 pounds for fall arrest safety equipment. Standard rock-climbing carabiners are not permitted. They are not strong enough.

On a related note, I see many people using farm grade hitch pins to secure their hitches in their receivers. I have seen these pins being sold for $8-10 at Princess Auto, when you can buy the proper receiver pins at Action Van and Truck for $4-5. I would hate to be the one that gets charged for something safety equipment related if there was an accident as a result of sub-standard chains/pins, etc.

I'm sorry the correct name for what I am using is called a quick link for chain repairs. The Carabine clip for climbing is as said not strong enough and the rating of the chain and the clip both have to exceed the ratings of the trailer it attaches too to be any good.

Art