Spearing, Poaching and Dumping of Walleyes

Pikeslayer8

back to GbayGiant...........

I was not thinking this was a case of commercial poaching, and for sure I was NOT saying that the persons with the spears are from any first nation. My point is that "good old boys" think that poaching is OK, they grew up thinking poaching is OK, and they are not afraid of MNR enforcement. I thought some folks here might have been suggesting that the poachers were first nations, because that seems to be a default setting for some people when fish conservation is threatened.

On the other hand, if you think (from personal knowledge?) this was first nations folks with spears, taking fish to sell, well then I am very sorry indeed to hear that.

Doug

It doesn't matter who did it or why it was done... It is just a horrible waste of a valuable resource. I hope the article gets some leads and we can find out what happened. I doubt because of the senselessness of it that a sane explanation of why it happened will ever be found.

don't be silly.

they know exactly who did it.

there is no question of that.

if you know and have proof maybe you could report that to the proper authorities.....and action could be taken....just sayin

too many people 'just saying' and no one with enough balls to 'start doing'.

if you think for a single second that the proper local authorities don't know exactly who did it you've been spending a little too much time in the paint room.

just sayin

don't be silly.

they know exactly who did it.

there is no question of that.

I am always amazed at any communities ability to take a tragedy without any facts and spin it this way or that to fit its fears, prejudices or low opinion of our fellow human beings.

In this post there are a lot of assumptions, leaps of logic and nasty innuendos, but NO PROOF which is ideally what I would like to see, before I accuse anyone or group.

Well...................

................MAYBE some people on here KNOW who the perpetrators might have been.

And IF they KNOW, and IF they fail to act, they are pretty much in the same league as the poachers. My view of course.

My reasonably educated guess is that nobody on this board actually KNOWS the identity of the spear-carrying fish killers, but lots of folks appear to enjoy playing the blame game, which does not advance fish conservation one iota.

But here is an offer: I have a friend who is a well-placed senior Ontario conservation officer. If anybody here knows the ACTUAL IDENTITY of the perpetrator(s), send me a pm and I will absolutely ensure that the name(s) of the guilty person(s) will be passed by me to him. And furthermore, I will report back here what he tells me.

Because, notwithstanding the certitude stated by our colleague Steve, I do NOT think the MNR "knows exactly" who might be responsible. But I acknowledge I have been wrong many times before and might be wrong again, but I am not afraid to admit that.

Doug

Well.Well....Nice to find out that Canuck and Shag are members of our painting fraternity---welcome to the Paint Room

Maybe we could do a joint piece of work that depicts the message that there seems to be enough contempt and intolerance in this world already without going forth and trying to invent new ones

back to bushart (as I still can't do a "QUOTE" here and no I am not going to Google Chrome...................)

We could use my beard as the paint brush.............

no, really................

Doug

Another idea here folks. Who's to say it wasn't youth playing with a spear and that someone in the group is still learning how to cut a fish? Too many variables to point fingers. It IS a shame is what it is to me.

Another idea here folks. Who's to say it wasn't youth playing with a spear and that someone in the group is still learning how to cut a fish? Too many variables to point fingers. It IS a shame is what it is to me.

Maybe it was aliens or ET.

Well.Well....Nice to find out that Canuck and Shag are members of our painting fraternity---welcome to the Paint Room

Maybe we could do a joint piece of work that depicts the message that there seems to be enough contempt and intolerance in this world already without going forth and trying to invent new ones

I have no artistic talent at all.... wish I did though, but that is another story LOL.

I do hope they find out who ACTUALLY did it so they and they alone can be vilified for doing it.

Many years ago outside Hamilton---I was listening to a guy boasting how he did an insurance job on his car and for several other paying customers

Here's how it worked-----drive car to 6 Nations and set it on fire

Yep---all the junior detectives with the super de-coder rings figure----Must Have been those Indians (term of the day)----again too easy

What happens when facts and evidence is left out of judgements

Back to Jigger..................according to the Ontario Out of Doors article, dated 20 May 2014, the photos WERE taken by a guy who came upon the scene, and the name of the person who took the photos is also listed in the article.............

Doug

I don't have as much a problem with the spearing as I do with leaving the fish to rot.

Ran into a native gill net a few years back. While trying to untangle our lines, we saw dozens of walleye rotting in the net, along with several pike and some coarse fish. What a waste of a valuable resource !!!

I don't have as much a problem with the spearing as I do with leaving the fish to rot.

Ran into a native gill net a few years back. While trying to untangle our lines, we saw dozens of walleye rotting in the net, along with several pike and some coarse fish. What a waste of a valuable resource !!!

did the gill net present its status card? Lol geez. I agree with the rotting fish part though, brutal

Back to Jigger..................according to the Ontario Out of Doors article, dated 20 May 2014, the photos WERE taken by a guy who came upon the scene, and the name of the person who took the photos is also listed in the article.............

Doug

What I meant was A) this issue has been around the block. B) no pics or video of the offending party had been taken.

Edit to add: A quick google search pulled this article on the first page. The article in the OP says the offending pics were taken on April 20 of this year. This article is from April of 2010. It points to a regular pattern. Key words WALLEYE SPEARING MOIRA showed more than one article of interest.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2010/04/06/native-fishing-season-begins

Edited by Jigger