Zoo Cougar's On The Loose!

solopaddler

Flies that is.

Big thanks to young Christopher K on the board for tying me up a large batch of big meaty zoo cougar streamer flies. I have a couple of trips on tap this year for big river brook trout and the fish in those big northern rivers love these flies!

He tied them in 3 colours for me, white, olive and tan and did a superlative job. Thanks again Chris I'm sure I'll put them to good use!

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Those are really nice flies. Hope you have some great trips for brookies this year Mike. I look forward to the reports. Those look like they will work well on God's Lake. What weight fly rod do you use for brookies Mike? 6wt?

God's River is a huge powerful river bud, I would be fishing it with an 8 weight for sure. These kinds of streamers are so big and bushy you need a powerful stick to cast them. Also you're going to need to get yourt fly down fast in that current so a fast sink tip is needed. An even better system is a regular WF8WT floating line used in conjunction with a sinking leader. Perfect for your application is the Versileader's made by RIO. 12' length with a sink rate of 7 IPS is exactly what you need. You run a short section (maybe 2') of heavy tippet off the end of the versileader to your fly. 10lb Maxima Ultragreen is perfect.

That's a baby compared to what I'll be tossing :)

sex_dungeon_zps15a6f0ce.jpg

Do you have the sex dungeon in white? They like white.

The Zoo Cougar was invented by a guy (or guys) who fish Michigan's Au Sable River. Check out the book "Modern Streamers For Trophy Trout by Bob Linsenman and Kelly Galloup (sp?). If you are a streamer flinger for big trout it will geek you up pretty good.

As for God's River, the brookies are like freakin footballs!! And the river is wild. The 8 wgt fly rod advice is dead on. However, the water isn't so deep and a good medium sinking head line ( I used a Teeny T-300) will work fine. I find casting the sinking heads ( the 20-25' ones) to be much easier to cast big flies, and you can usually get a decent distance cast with only one false cast. Just my opinion.

Also, that rig will work for the big pike on God's Lake, although I moved up to a 9 wgt (with the same line) for pike.

Have fun!!

As for fly rod weights its better to be over gunned then under gunned, go big or go home, and when you have put all the time and effort to book a world class trip, not to mention the money, your bang on with the 8 wt and even a 9wt, you see TV shows where they recommend 5 and 6 wts, but if the rivers are high and flowing your pooched with those outfits. Im running a 9 and 10 wts right now throwing streamers for river walleyes.

topwater mouse patterns....i fished with one a bit on God's River. I caught nothing on it, but a brookie I'd guess an easy 6-7 pounds porpoised over one and I was damn neat speechless....couldn't raise it again....hell yeah, try one!!

We destroyed then on the Sutton using topwater mouse patterns.. It's addicting to say the least. I've also caught them on Nipigon the same way.. We'll get a few on topwater patterns I'm sure.

Edited by BillM