lawn mower help

darsky

If the engine is tight... it's not the rusty blade causing it!!! Does the lawnmower have the safety brake on the handle.. you have to hold it down or the lawnmower stops? It's a brake, that locks the engine.. suspect that linkage / cable is loose and the brake is dragging.

I suspect the blade brake is engaged, the cable could be broken/disconnected or even stretched. There are a few other things that might cause it but spraying the blade with WD 40 isn't going to solve any of them. DO NOT try to turn it over by putting your hand on the blade, if it ever did fire you will loose your hand!!!!!

It sounds like you are not familiar with lawnmower engines, get someone who is to look at it for you before you get hurt!

Edited by Big Cliff

Did you spray out the underside of the mower with the garden hose before you stored it for the winter? I did that once and a bit of rust got in the bearing making it hard to turn over. A blast of WD-40 cured the problem. Like others have said, pull the spark plug wire before looking underneath.

As HTHM said but to elaborate just a bit. When you turn the blade it turns the crank shaft which also turns the flywheel. As the magnets on the flywheel pass the coil it generates a spark and turning it by hand could cause it to fire (if the kill switch isn't working for whatever reason) at which point the blade is now going to be spinning much faster than you could remove your hand from the area (typically around 3000 RPM or 50 RPS X 2 ends of the blade).

I just don't want to see you get hurt so at least get someone who knows what they are doing to help you, if you were closer I'd just get you to bring it here and I'd be happy to help out.

I am bowing my head in slight shame as I type this. Used to run an electric so no pull cord. Last year I bought the gas one soooooooooooo it was not quite fresh in my mind that I had to pull on the "safety bar" as I am pulling the cord. Once the brainfart was flushed I realized my error. Thanks for those who helped.