Trolling with braid on Simcoe

MSBruno

Looking to spool up my mooching reels this year for lakers .... wondering if anyone is trolling with braid with no flea issue as the Lake Ontario trollers encounter. Possible or impossible? Fleas that big of an issue on Simcoe?

Can I troll with braid? I completely understand the other issues with braid, just looking for issues on feasibility, not recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Being a bass guy, the idea of fighting a fish on a 100 ft rubber band (mono) doesn't tickle my fancy. Want to see if I can "feel" the fight more. I opted for a medium power, medium/slow action 10'6" shimano technium rod to cushion the headshakes.

Being a bass guy, the idea of fighting a fish on a 100 ft rubber band (mono) doesn't tickle my fancy. Want to see if I can "feel" the fight more. I opted for a medium power, medium/slow action 10'6" shimano technium rod to cushion the headshakes.

I think you'll need more then just a rod to cushion the zero stretch of the braid.. If not you'll be pulling hooks left and right. Maybe a 10-15ft leader might help a bit.

I'm on the same page as you, I use braid for almost everything; downrigging, trolling, mooching back waters, ice fishing, I like the sensitivity, little increased depth and increased spool capacity but I don't have fleas to deal with....I don't use heavy braid, 15-30 for fresh and 50 for salt, depending on the setup

I do top shot a good amount, depends on the situation...trolling for walleye only 10'....salmon or lakers I top shot a good 30-40 yards or so of heavy mono...I use that exact rod you have, I don't lose many fish ;)

downrigging will have issues with the pinch releases, they won't hold, so you'll need to switch to the mechanical styles...aside from that, I don't have any other issues

it's like anything else, just know how to use the tools you have and you're golden

Edited by bare foot wader

I know Terry runs braid with a leader (I think)LOL

I dont go as heavy as Bill. I run 10 pd BG. witha 10ft floro lead using12-13.5ft rods Like said,the line is cheap and is good for what were fishing for.Also like Bill said,you will be ripping hooks right out of them with out that stretch.

I understand your getting the fish in fast like a bass,but rigg,n for lakers like that is just not the thing IMO.

you don't have to fight it fast, just keep the drag set appropriately and that med/slow rod bent in half and enjoy every head shake

I dont dought fighting the fish will be a problem. It,s the strike that concerns me.

For me,it,s the strike that will cause the problem with your running straight braid. Theres no cushion . That braid will pull so fast,it will rip the lure. If your running a long tag,I can see it having a bit more give,but if it,s a 10-15 ft tag behind the ball,it,s going to rip fast.

Edited by Misfish

I run braid on everything and will never switch it.

When trolling lake o i have no more hit and misses than the next guy.

I use scotty pinch clips on the riggers on the strong setting and they never pull out on their own.

As for the fleas i havent seen them in simcoe but have only trolled lakers a couple times, only the really bad days on lake o affect my braid with bad fleas so im sticking to it.

Edit. I run 65lb power pro and 50lb seagur flouro leaders on lake o and used 30 lb flouro on simcoe

If that makes any difference.

Edited by Gallie

braid is apparently a love-hate thing, but I love it

chamberlain releases, I'll never use Scotty's again, not that Scotty's were that bad, I just really like the chamberlain releases, I can crank my rod down and a tiny shaker will still release

I would imagine the thicker braid holds better for sure, can you pull big flashers without false releases?

http://www.downriggerrelease.com/

Yes i can. My deepest rig is always a meat rig with a big paddle, other than dipseys this rig accounts for the highest number of matures every year. I also will pull paddles and flys in other riggers with no issues

Maybe you could tell me how to get simcoe lakers in exchange for lake ontario secrets ;)

Simcoe lakers aren't very hard to figure out.. Once the opener hits, I usually jig them... Once a thermocline establishes, it's time to troll (although guys still jig them throughout the summer)

I use braid with a 3-4' leader for everything from jigging for perch to down rigging for salmon with zero problems hooking or landing fish. You won't have any problems with pulling hooks, providing you use a mono or flouro leader, which most use in clear water anyways.