Anyone else having issues with newer Jiffy augers?

limeyangler

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the newer Jiffy augers (last 2 years). I have at least three friends who are either selling them or just getting a new make because of issues with starting the darned things. customer service sounds totally uninterested too by the reports. I mean my one buddy got told that the machine is cold, thats why it wont start….FFS….its an ICE auger!?!?

My old Jiffy lightning starts in minus 30C without priming or anything, 5 or 6 pulls , a bit of coaxing with the throttle and choke and she's good to go.

New engines in the newer models?

I got two friends that bought jiffiies last year and hate them lol. They call to borrow mine all winter lol. I'm not sure what issues they have specifically but apparently they cause Tourette's syndrome lol. Another guy that fishes with us here and there has a jiffy that works nice. Maybe their abusing the machines?

Edited by manitoubass2

Go Electric! I spent the money and bought a new 20V dewalt this year! Attach it to my auger and that sucker drills holes through 30+" of ice in no time! No Gas to worry about, squeeze the trigger and it starts. I won't go back and I am a small engine mechanic!

my buddy has a 3 yr old jiffy, bought it new and he seems to have issues getting it to start from day one

I bought an eskimo z51 2 yrs ago, best auger I've ever used, reliable and cuts quick (busted the handle from an impact, warranty was easy and fast)....I drilled holes for a couple guys with a jiffy my last day out, so maybe they do have some issues

I have experience with strikemaster and eskimo, almost bought a jiffy but glad I didn't, I used to think they were leaders in the ice auger world, maybe not now

I got two friends that bought kiddies last year and hate them lol. They call to borrow mine all winter lol. I'm not sure what issues they have specifically but apparently they cause Tourette's syndrome lol. Another guy that fishes with us here and there has a jiffy that works nice. Maybe their abusing the machines?

Well, possibly one guy is a bit clueless, but the other two are seasoned fishermen.

Go Electric! I spent the money and bought a new 20V dewalt this year! Attach it to my auger and that sucker drills holes through 30+" of ice in no time! No Gas to worry about, squeeze the trigger and it starts. I won't go back and I am a small engine mechanic!

thanks for the tip, but i'm fairly happy with what i have know, really looking for specific issues with the models mentioned.

Part of the problem with the new augers in general is that the carbs are factory set for "ideal" conditions. Some of the newer ones have a red cap over the adjustment screw, pop that off with a pair of pliers and open it up about 1/8th to 1/4 turn counterclockwise.

Part of the problem with the new augers in general is that the carbs are factory set for "ideal" conditions. Some of the newer ones have a red cap over the adjustment screw, pop that off with a pair of pliers and open it up about 1/8th to 1/4 turn counterclockwise.

i'll let the boys know that.

I picked up new Jiffy propane model this winter and it works like a charm. Hated sucking in gas fumes and carrying gas cans, spills etc...

Sounds good. The only times the fumes bother me is in the iceshack……otherwise…."i love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning….smells like…..VICTORY!"

No idea Simon,BUT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know what ya mean Cliff. All year I have used mine.

Today I was still drilling through 28 inches for perch. Did 15 6in holes with one battery.