We is getting whooped!!!

bigugli

The storm may have hit late, but Niagara sure is getting pasted. That morning change from rain to snow laid down an inch of solid ice on the roads. Made for some fun driving to the cancer clinic. Good thing we got back home long before the worst had hit.

Might have to harness the sled dogs.

DSCN4150_zpsc528d0ef.jpg

Casey loves this stuff, but poor Baxter can't plow through the heavy deep snow. he keeps getting stuck.

Was brutal here today in Whitby. This happened at the end of my street. I was blocked getting home...luckily I live on a crescent and just had to go the long way around.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/4408431-update-truck-driver-dies-after-collision-with-bus-in-whitby/

I drove up to the roadblock and turned around....never even saw the bus in the ditch!!

With the 401 closed at several points here in Quinte due to yet more tractor trailer accidents and pile ups of people who refuse to drive according to road conditions, and/or without proper tires... What is normally a 30min commute turned into a 2 hour commute involving back country roads and a bit of luck.... This stretch from cobourg to belleville is brutal..... One thing I have noticed, most of the trucks involved seem to be from Quebec, are their trucks not speed limited? As ours here in Ontario are?

G

..... One thing I have noticed, most of the trucks involved seem to be from Quebec, are their trucks not speed limited? As ours here in Ontario are?

G

Even if the truck is governed, no vehicle should be doing 110 kph in these road conditions. There were a few rigs trying to push 80 on the QEW and they had to slow down once they started to lose steering control with their rigs. Still makes for some palpitations when you see one of these fellas fishtailing in front of you.

Yes, it was a hairy drive today. That looks like some pretty bad stuff OhioFisherman.

Joey that area is farm country, just wide open farm fields for the most part and the wind whips across it. The only night I had to spend away from home in over 30 years of driving a semi was in that area, the highway patrol shut the roads down in blizzard like conditions. A semi with a light load or empty can lose it quickly when a gust of wind hits it and the roads are icy.

That particular evening it was difficult just to stand on the road when a gust of wind hit, and I could watch it sliding my parked trailer. I don't miss being in an 18 wheeler.

Try Penetang to Lansdowne / Bloor in Toronto and across to Sunnybrook and back... and back up the 400. I was only 3 minutes late getting Jen to Sunnybrook, but I sure worked to get her there thanks to all the cars and vans that couldn't climb the hills.

Had to drive Beaverton to Tottenham three round trips in that stuff yesterday from 10 am until just after 10 pm non stop, boy that was fun. I even had a few fools pass me while I was doing 80 in an 80 zone white knuckle most of the way.

Saw plenty of cars in the ditch and one really bad accident on Davis Drive just East of the 400 about 7:30 last night. I didn't stop because emergency services were on the scene but one of the cars was really badly smashed up. I'm sure glad that run is over with, by the time I got home last night I was beat! I can't wait for summer and dry roads to get here!

it's about time you south of 9ers felt this winter LOL

that's been pretty much par for the course since late december for us.

We don't get the big snow dumps, but we always get sheet ice. The QEW was full of scrap metal and cars in the ditches again this morning.