Boat Test on new Starcraft Starfish 176 SC

craigdritchie

Bill - Starcraft is very much in the fishing boat business. A lot of the US walleye tournament guys run their big boats (Fishmaster, STX, Viper, etc). You might be thinking of Sylvan, which quit making fishing boats two years ago so they could concentrate on pontoons.

Roy - I spent the better part of a week down there testing boats last August, and certainly did fish out of the 176. For a 17 footer it's nice and stable, which is the result of the bottom plates running full-width for most of the boat's length. You can put two big guys up front and it doesn't budge. The other benefit is that it doesn't draw much water, so you can get right into the lilypads no problem. I also like that when you're up front by yourself, it's still low enough you can reach over the side and lip a bass without really having to reach for it. For the Kawarthas, Muskokas, Ottawa River/Larry, Quinte, etc. it's a really nice boat that will fit in the garage and tow easily behind a small SUV like a Highlander or an Escape.

The 176 is a semi-V hull, so even with that wide bottom it will still eat up Kawartha-sized waves no problem. But someone who fishes mostly on big water like Erie or Georgian Bay would honestly be better off with something built for that, like an STX.

One thing I should add ... that 135 E-TEC is an absolute rocket. Gorgeous motor!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie