Pike Through The Ice - I Need Ideas!

Rich

I am stuck on my home ponds for the week. So going to better water is unfortunately not an option, unless somebody here would like to ice fish for gators this week, gas money will be compensated!

Anyway. That's not the point. Since I am stuck here I need new ideas. The current methods still catch the odd fish but they are quickly getting used to everything I usually do. Usually I:

- jig big (or small) spoons

- run a dead bait of various variety

- run live or salted minnows on jigheads (most productive method)

Or lately, tip a jigging rap with a couple minnows.

Like I said, they all work, occasionally. But I'd like to try some different options to rise a few toothy critters. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated! I don't want to go all week without one :( lost one today in a new spot.. there is hope!

Where does one get their hands on ciscos?

catch em or buy frozen at the local baitshop. They sell em at a few places around my neck of the woods. Pike love em, the bigger the better. Or buy them at the supermarket. Lots of stores carry them pickled or smoked. Pickled still work but there cut in chunks usually Edited by manitoubass2

Thanks for the ideas guys.

When I said "various deadbaits" i have had everything from gizzard shads to chub minnows to sardines, milkfish and ciscoes on there. These pike tend to prefer smaller baits, or golden shiners if you can get your hands on them.

However the place has gotta stink with fish oil nowadays. There's tip ups all over the place, smelts and sardines are #1 with most people. Then there's the dink with the frozen perch on his line all day. (I've warned him many times. Will happily watch him get caught one day.)

So I need to go a little out of the box. Spreaders seem like they may be the way to go. Yesterday a stationary jigging rap loaded with salties got a couple bites.

I've had success with large live sucker minnows on a quick strike rig. About a foot off of bottom. The bigger the better - 10 inchers if you can get them.

Then jig a large flash spoon nearby to attract pike into the area. This method is much more entertaining if you are in 7' to 10' of clear water, in a hut with a large hole in the ice and you can block out all the light. Sometimes you will see the minnow trying to swim away. Pull up the spoon and let the pike eat the minnow.

Live Atlantics on a set line. Guaranteed to work! :)

Hey if they can't keep them alive in the big lake then how are you going to keep them alive in the bucket on the way to pike fishing lol????

Hot dog on a quick strike rig......

Burt :)