Learned something new about Visa today....100% NF

Ordered a burner for my BBQ from an online site on Dec 18th. My Visa was debited Dec 19th. The site promised delivery within 2-5 business days. 2 weeks go by and no burner. I gave them that long being Xmas and all. I sent an email and got a response....sorry for the delay...blah blah blah...but still no burner.

Today Debbe takes the info and calls Visa. We will get a full refund from Visa of our money because the law states that merchandise must be received within 15 days of the account being debited. I did not know that and thought I would pass that info on in case anyone on here has been scammed buying stuff online. Wait your 15 days and file a dispute with Visa.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

And then the burner shows up tomorrow.. because customs has sat on it for 2 weeks.. then what? I've had packages sit in Mississauga for over a month, that just disappear into a black hole with no way to track them, and suddenly a card is in my mail box to come pick it up.

And then the burner shows up tomorrow.. because customs has sat on it for 2 weeks.. then what? I've had packages sit in Mississauga for over a month, that just disappear into a black hole with no way to track them, and suddenly a card is in my mail box to come pick it up.

Very true Wayne. I sell stuff on ebay and have two packages that have been sitting in Chicago since Dec 31. Canada Post says everything got backed up due to the ice storm (could be just an excuse), but nothing I can do about it. I shipped them out immediately.

Debbe told me Visa was taking over. If we get the burner in the mean time they do NOT want us to let them know. It is up to the BBQ burner company to prove to Visa that we received the burner. Once that happens they will debit our account. The company has 4-6 weeks to follow through...but Visa has promised a refund of our money in 5 business days.

Interesting they say they don't want to know if you get the burner :dunno:

Joey our only concern was that a despicable company had our Visa info. Visa informed Debbe that there investigation showed that it was a reputable company and not to worry about fraud. They told her that they did not want us to call if we got the burner because once the dispute investigation process has been started they really don't care or have the time to monitor if we get the burner or not. The focus then is on the backs of the company to prove our agreement was honored...as Visa has a 15 day "law' to provide goods once the customer has been debited. Neither of us really care about the burner or the $$$...we are just happy that some shyster doesn't have our Visa info.

They'll already have your information if they originally charged your card :)

Agreed. But Visa didn't find anything suspicious in any of there other transactions with other customers. Nor did my wife when she did a search from her end at the bank. It seems like an honest mistake and I'm pretty certain we will get our burner. It's just nice to know that the bank AND Visa both found nothing shady about this company. Made our day.

Good to hear the outcome CPH.

It's not often you get coverage like that. Glad to hear they are reimbursing your account.

A person should have 2 cards, 1 for online transactions, set limit to 500.00 and then another card for your every day transactions.

It's not often you get coverage like that. Glad to hear they are reimbursing your account.

A person should have 2 cards, 1 for online transactions, set limit to 500.00 and then another card for your every day transactions.

Funny you should mention that Ron as that is exactly what we do....but I used the wrong Visa :wallbash: If things would have turned bad I'm pretty sure I'd be moving my personal effects into the dog house for a very very long time :(

Exactly, had one hell of a time trying to convince the bank all I wanted was a card with $500 limit for eBay use and the like. If need be, I can up the limit over the phone and reduce it when I'm done.

The only real value I see in having two cards is if things go wrong you have another card for purchases while the other gets sorted. The credit limit shouldn't matter so much cause the banks will sort you out anyhow. I suppose the less damage by a fraudster means a situation gets sorted more quickly.

If folks don't use credit cards much anyhow, probably one card can still suffice. Even with the inconvenience of a situation and perhaps a visit to a bank branch, you can be back in business with a new card fairly quickly.

Just my thoughts.

The only real value I see in having two cards is if things go wrong you have another card for purchases while the other gets sorted. The credit limit shouldn't matter so much cause the banks will sort you out anyhow. I suppose the less damage by a fraudster means a situation gets sorted more quickly.

If folks don't use credit cards much anyhow, probably one card can still suffice. Even with the inconvenience of a situation and perhaps a visit to a bank branch, you can be back in business with a new card fairly quickly.

Just my thoughts.

It really would not effect me much...I us a Visa card maybe once or twice a year. But for others the inconvenience of not having a card would be far greater. It can take as long as 4 weeks to be issued a new Visa....trust me I know.....and a month is a very long time if you rely on your card for daily business.

That is why the 2 card system is a good idea for many.

The so called "every day transactions" are a bigger concern than on-line purchases. It is usually the restaurant and gas purchases that lead to fraudulent charges. On-line purchases are less of a concern.

Exactly John.. I have never been scammed via online purchases... but at least three times from our local full serve gas station(s) and the attendant taking the card inside to run it through... where they write your three digit code off the back down.. full name.. number.. expiry.. etc and then knowing you're a local they look you up in the phone book to get all the other details for addess and phone #. Luckily most get caught wanting to ship to another address than the billing address.

Hmm, guessing since it is the law, perhaps it works for MC too? Will have to look into that. I already got scammed on ebay, thankfully paypal followed up and got my money back!

Yup, definately same with MasterCard. I ordered some carp fishing books from England, and I hadn't recieved them for a couple of weeks. When I e-mailed the company, a woman e-mailed me back to say she would look into it, and I heard nothing from her for a week! I then called MasterCard and they refunded the purchase for me and asked me just to let them know should I actually recieve my books.