Anyone ice fish Frenchman's Bay?

Locnar

I've seen people out there, and have heard that they've been catching pikes out there. I am interested in givin'r a go. Is the fishing there any good, or is it like a "right place, right time" kind of deal? I wonder if the perch roll in as well?

There is a tournament run out of frenchman's bay every year (at least there was) and many big perch get iced every year.

There is a population of pike in there and they tend to congregate in one area of the bay, and so do all the fisherman. I'm sure you will notice.

Right on, at least there's a decent chance of catchin something decent... especially since it's so close to home. I'll probably give'r this weekend. I'm guessing the pike... and the huts... are hanging around the deep hole that I hear exists there?

We used to ice fish as well as cast for pike too a decent spot was always just to the right of the 7ft deep hole sort of line yourself up with the long pier !!!! We used to use dead salted minnows on a tip-up in winter there is or was a line of weeds around the northern end of the deep spot !!!! And we fished there .... And got some decent perch as well !!!

I did my first icefishing trip there at the age of twelve (I'm 77 yrs old now... :whistling: )

Picked up $0.25 cents worth of pinhead minnows at Skinner"s (downtown Toronto) the day before, a bus ride out Hwy 2, a long walk down to and out on the bay, Chop a hole with a hatchet and usually get a feed of jumbo perch using a hand line with hook, sinker and a float...later on we made tip-ups and fashioned a spud...

Built a fire on the ice using driftwood we found along the shore of Lake Ontario...mainly to thaw our g'weeches...

Ahh...memories !!! :clapping:

Tightline..... It's on Brock Road just south of the Hwy 401 on the west side.... John will all of your bait....

Tightline is closed until further notice as the sign on the door said. (what I heard) Not sure who else in the area sell minnows.

Edited by fishnsled

I come from the west but there is a shop at Markham road and Sheppard ( between markham road and McCowan on sheppard. In the timmy's plaza)

Its hard to fish if you don't have minnows there.

That would be AV Fishing Tackle at Sheppard and Shorting. That is where I usually buy my minnows. I think that Lucky's at Sheppard and Midland sells bait too.