Ice Fishing - Perccchh

NightCrawler

Hey guys,

Im hoping I can get some help with the best line to use. I will be ice fishing with a few buddies this weekend and we cant seem to get a legit annswer on the best line to use.
based on my research, I would think a rod fitted with just 100% fluorocarbon line would be best. (4lb test line)

Were fishing in lake simcoe for perch.

Based on my research, fluro line is less visible in the water, more sensitive and has less memory. It also doesnt require a leader; if i went with braid or mono, i would need a fluorocarbon leader..correct? Braid tends to coil more in reels, has less sensitivity and doesnt last as long. Correct?

Any info would help, were not targeting lakers or pike or anything, our hut will be places in a spot were perch fishing is more abundant than lakers or pike, so i figured just fluro line is best...

thanks!

Hey guys,

Im hoping I can get some help with the best line to use. I will be ice fishing with a few buddies this weekend and we cant seem to get a legit annswer on the best line to use.

based on my research, I would think a rod fitted with just 100% fluorocarbon line would be best. (4lb test line)

Were fishing in lake simcoe for perch.

Based on my research, fluro line is less visible in the water, more sensitive and has less memory. It also doesnt require a leader; if i went with braid or mono, i would need a fluorocarbon leader..correct? Braid tends to coil more in reels, has less sensitivity and doesnt last as long. Correct?

Any info would help, were not targeting lakers or pike or anything, our hut will be places in a spot were perch fishing is more abundant than lakers or pike, so i figured just fluro line is best...

thanks!

Personally, I don't like 100% fluorocarbon (FC) as a main line. Some people do though. Is it the best? Well, as mentioned, that's personal opinion. It does offer some advantages (supposedly, but that depends on who you believe).

I wouldn't typically use a leader with mono. I do use a leader with braid, but I use either mono or FC (usually FC).

Braid is at least as sensitive as FC, maybe moreso. I don't think it coils more either, but there are plenty of superlines and I haven't tried many of them. They do differ in their properties to some degree. Braid definitely lasts the longest as it's less susceptible to physical abrasion and UV. Although, I have a feeling the lower test braid might be a bit less abrasion resistant since it's so thin.

I think any line will do just fine. However, if you're fishing deep water the FC and braid/superlines should be more sensitive. Assuming you believe the no-stretch claims for FC.

It is all about preference; I use a 6 lb Trilene ice (mono) for all my ice fishing and no leader, it works fine for me and I've caught my share of fish through the ice. I am not a big fan of the fluro lines, I think they are really expensive for any advantage they might give you. Each to their own I guess but you are fishing for perch here, not a trophy muskie that you might only get one chance at in a life time.

One thing to keep in mind is freezing. If your in a shack no worries. But out in the elements braid will accumulate ice faster then fluoro or mono( this is coming from a guy that loves braid). Id stick to 6-8lb mono as it does what it should, and you can fish a variety of species without switching line, and its cheap ;)

Edited by manitoubass2

3 LB. Mono with a micro jig and a gulp magot for a starter. When you get a keeper, nothin better than an Perch eye ball :good: .

Or when their active, a Jack spoon or some imposters, like Slammers with a red bead :good: .

But if your desperate in catching lots of meat, 2 Rods with 6 Lb. 4 snelled hooks on each line with shiners and your rods tipped with a spring bobber. Old School :good::canadian:

Edited by Fish Farmer

Thanks for the advice everyone, I already have my dave genz rod filled with 4lb FC and the other UL st croix will be spooled with some mono, ill pick some up at BP today. I guess this gives me an excuse to buy a third rod and put some braid on it..then i can really know which one i like most!

For perch fishing and most ice fishing

All my reels are full of braid now.

For perch fishing,I run a 4 ft floro lead.

As for your comment about most ice fishing,Im thinking you mean deeper waters for lakers and whities.

I was one that ran main all the way to the jig,til I was asked to try braid with a 6 ft lead of floro. What a difference. You can feel your jig/spoon so much easier. No stretch. When you felt the wieght,it was exact.

It has made my catches 100x better.

I will add,if your fishing out in the open and it,s - temps,braids not the way.

Then again,I know a guy that down rigs with straight braid and catches fish too. WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Edited by Misfish