A lot of slush on Sturgeon Lake

Big Cliff

Just got back in off the lake, it was tough getting around even on foot. There is a couple of inches of snow on top of a thin crust, on top of slush in many places.

We found a few spots with about 4-6" of slush but a friend just called and he saw a guy just off Pleasent Point stuck in about 14" of slush. Been there before and it wasn't fun and I was 30 years younger then!

The areas where we were today had a good 10 - 12" of ice so that part of it is good. Just be careful out there, we were in a sheltered bay.

Was out for a flight today... and the slush fields on Georgian Bay, Gloucester Pool, 6 mile, Tea Lake, South Bay... etc are immense. Unfortunately there is still about 80% white snow on top everywhere and no matter how cold it gets it will stay slush for a long long time unfortunately.

Was out for a flight today... and the slush fields on Georgian Bay, Gloucester Pool, 6 mile, Tea Lake, South Bay... etc are immense. Unfortunately there is still about 80% white snow on top everywhere and no matter how cold it gets it will stay slush for a long long time unfortunately.

Yup. Was on one of those lakes a couple weeks ago Wayne. Lots of snow,but no slush at the time. Guess we drilled to many holes.

All kidding aside,this snow fall we have had is not what we needed as ice fisherman. Lots of unsafe ice out there. Dont let covered lakes, fool ya all.

Exactly Brian.. way to early in the season for anyone to be getting cocky and just running out to where they want to fish (although I've seen many doing it). The lake Terry, Lloyd and I fished the Thursday before Christmas had 6" here... 4" there and then less than that just 10 feet away.. all over the place with no rhyme or reason to it.

Here is the safest fisherman I saw today... just not sure what kind of dirt puppy he's fishing for!!