Harvesting your Catch; Question in regards to those with Toddlers.

rbaquial

I've always watched my dad and grandpa fillet fish, pretty well from birth! I feel it's important to learn the process of how food gets to the table in its bare basic form. Something all humans should be practicing to shift their perceptions, IMO!

My two daughters were exposed to fishing as soon as they could hold a rod. They were also exposed to every other aspect of fishing at the same time, including; bonking, cleaning, disposal of the guts, cooking , and eating.

My older daughter used to think it was neat to feel the guts and rub some of the blood on her fingers. Her mom and I used to think maybe she had some morbid tendencies, but she grew out of it.

So from a young age they baited and removed their own fish from the hooks, harvested their catch and helped clean and prep for eating.

I hope they pass it on to their kids (when that time comes) with the help of Grandpa, or at least not object to me showing their kids what I did for them.

All kids should know how the food gets to their plates!

My 3 help or watch with everything from chickens, deer, bear, bullfrogs, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits and fish. They love to eat it all too.

THIS!

We have a 7 month old boy and he will be learning about our various food sources at a young age, including the harvesting and processing of animals. Teaching them why we (hunters, fishermen, butchers, etc) kill animals also teaches them respect for living creatures along with what death is and if you kill something it's gone forever. Older children really benefit from seeing animals being processed as it's an introduction to anatomy and the majority are very curious and willing to learn.

It drives me insane when some parents do everything in their power to "protect" their kids from learning about death and where meat comes from while making them believe that meat is simply made in the back of the grocery store or mcdonalds.

Cool thread guys.

My daughters now 14 and 12 used to love scaping roe off the skein. They used to be great helpers.

Now they have both decided to become succesfull vegetatrians ( vegans actually )

" insert comment from SINKER here "

My 7 yr boy however loves to bonk the fishies and loves a good feed of perch.

He also loves stomping on gobies

Cool thread guys.

My daughters now 14 and 12 used to love scaping roe off the skein. They used to be great helpers.

Now they have both decided to become succesfull vegetatrians ( vegans actually )

" insert comment from SINKER here "

My 7 yr boy however loves to bonk the fishies and loves a good feed of perch.

He also loves stomping on gobies

Don't feel bad, my 17year old daughter won't have anything to do with killing or cleaning, but she'll eat it all day long!

S.

No offense to any of your family members, but when I was a teen the only vegans I knew were so because of their culture/religion. These days the trend is to skip meat, because all the celebs are doing so. What's wrong with the kids these days?!?!?

I'd say your all excellent parents for not sheltering your kids from something as primal as cleaning fish. And when my boy is old enough to know what's going on you can bet he'll be elbows deep in fish guts with his old man. Lol

Another aspect to consider that I've noticed in my limited experience with my kids. It's not always a straight line from one experience to another. Introducing them to things at as young a age as possible is a good idea but don't be surprised if at some later age something that they were completely fascinated by now disgusts them.