Ordered a new portable ice hut, now what?

hookerdown

After a few years of consideration, research and lugging around a homemade hut, I finally ordered a portable hut. Its 6' x 6' and 6'5" (plenty of head room for a guy that is 5'6".

I was thinking of using a silicone spray on the seams to water proof them, like you would for a tent. As well I am toying with the idea of putting in an insulated floor made of 2'x2' sections.

What are your ideas? Share your pics of any floors you made for your portable huts.

I also see no need for a floor in a portable hut..

But the designer in me is thinking you might be able to rig something on a hinge, that would also double as a cover while in tow. That you could flip down first, than flip your hut over second... Assuming your new portable it a flip over style that folds down into a sleigh.

Not sure what material you would use... And it would get soaked all the time...

Doesn't sound worth the effort to me.

I just have a piece of wood board with a few screws in the bottom so it won't slide around for my feet. It does keep them a bit warmer than when they are just on the ice. Fits sideways in the sled part of the hut so take up hardly any room.

No need to be spraying a brand new hut with waterproofer... well there better not be anyhow!

I bought a 4" wide roll of blue floor mat x 1/2" thick and cut it in about 16" strips so all the guys could have one when up at the lake. It does help keep your feet a bit warmer and the bonus is... it's the last thing you put on top of the load in the hut before putting the cover on to move to another spot. Slows the wear holes down a bit on the cover!

I have the original pop out hut, the Eastman IceCube. I think I got it in 2007 or thereabouts. One pole has been repaired but I have never waterproofed it nor felt the need to. In use you will notice especially on colder days that you will build up a lot of condensation on the inner walls and roof so I don't see any point in spraying the seams. Doesn't drip though, just runs down the sides.

Burt :)

I have a Frabill Davey... trying to remember from what year but I think 2008. So it's got at least 5 seasons on it and heading for 6... It's been worn through in a few spots from running 40+ miles a day on Lake Temagami behind a snowmobile.... and patched with the cheap tent patches from CTC where it's worn through. We've been out in every kind of weather you could think of, from -38C to +11 and rain. It's a tent... I've never been wet.. and you are supposed to be dressed for the weather anyhow.