NHL makes 12-year deal with Rogers for broadcast rights

lhousesoccer

Thought this would be up by now, but I don't see it, so ..... just wondering what everyone thinks of this 12-year deal the NHL made with Rogers giving them exclusive rights to broadcast all Canadian NHL games? CBC managed to get Saturday night "Hockey Night in Canada" games for the next 4 years, but nothing after that it seems.

To me, this is sad news, growing up with HNIC. Big money, big business always wins.

Why do I hate Bettman so much?!?!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/cbc-partners-with-rogers-in-landmark-nhl-rights-deal-1.2440326

an Over the Air carrier absolutely MUST be the ones with rights to saturday's games in my opinion. I understand CBC will still do it for the time being but going forward?? Roger's expects us to get cable just to watch hockey?

The CBC website's story doesn't include a lot of the information I heard on CBC Radio this morning for some reason. CBC will only get one game per week - Saturday night - for the next 4 years. Rogers will have everything else, and after 4 years, they'll have Saturday night as well. They also get exclusive rights to all facets of the broadcast, meaning that how you see and hear the game will be determined by Rogers. In other words, camera angles, Colour Commentators, hosts .... it will all be Rogers, all the time, in 4 years time.

Edited by vtbass

The real loser here is TSN, not CBC. They were left out in the cold.

TSN is a huge company, they knew full well what was going on. There is no way this caught them off guard..Perhaps they know something Rogers doesn't about profit margins and the non Leaf markets..

TSN is a huge company, they knew full well what was going on. There is no way this caught them off guard..Perhaps they know something Rogers doesn't about profit margins and the non Leaf markets..

Rogers and TSN both put bids in, Rogers won out. I'm wondering what happens now. I love the coverage by TSN, not a very big Sportsnet fan to be honest.

Wow first CBC looses the theam song not all of HNIC I guess they want grapes off the air.

I grew up watching it and my daughter did to as well as my son a little bit that we have watched since the strike.

Like me giving up Heinz ketchup I can live with out hockey if Ron and Don are gone.

No chance our cable bills go up eh?

im thinking it will go down..No longer need TSN2 or Leafs tv..The only thing that requires TSN2 now is the Jimmie Johnson show that formally has been known as Nascar..This is my last year as a Nascar fan..Brutal lack of entertainment and a HUGE waste of time..

im thinking it will go down..No longer need TSN2 or Leafs tv..The only thing that requires TSN2 now is the Jimmie Johnson show that formally has been known as Nascar..This is my last year as a Nascar fan..Brutal lack of entertainment and a HUGE waste of time..

Nascar has been a big waste of time since the man in black passed and Rusty and DW retired and Wnston dropped sponsorship!!!!

And I am sure Roger`s has a plan in place to rearrange their packages to squeeze every last dollar they can from you!!! :devil:

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I work in the telecom industry . We will be going to picking channels in the near future, whether delivered by cable, satelite, or the Internet. Not saying bills will go down but you will be able to get more channels that you actually watch for your 70 bucks. Any case I'm a fan of the deal I'm pretty sure my stock options will be too :)

I work in the telecom industry . We will be going to picking channels in the near future, whether delivered by cable, satelite, or the Internet. Not saying bills will go down but you will be able to get more channels that you actually watch for your 70 bucks. Any case I'm a fan of the deal I'm pretty sure my stock options will be too :)

Sorry does this mean no more packages that have a ass load of junk you dont watch?

Okay I am not sure but doesn't rogers own a majority share of TSN ? I tried to keep track of it but I think rogers owned sportsnet but sold it to get TSN,I am so confused.The big keep getting bigger and us consumers keep getting abused....

vance