Need some recommendations for a excellent boot.

Skud

I would like to purchase a knee high, waterproof boot that is for cold weather and preferably in camo. Needs to be good for sitting in the deer blind and humping it through the woods. I sweat a lot so they also have to be very breathable to keep down the stinky feet so neoprene will not work. Who has a boot that they love and performs well. I know some people that have spent $200 on a pair of boots and they end up leaking the first season. I will spend what I must to have a boot that will last me many seasons. I have a couple of pairs of 8" to 10" boots that I am happy with already(Sportschief and Rocky). Please let me know your recommendations.

In my opinion you should be looking for two pair of boots, not one.

As a person that has sat in deer stands, been on lots of deer drives, grouse and woodcock hunts you are asking for something that really doesn't exist. Get a good pair of normally insulated (200-300 grams of Thinsulate) waterproof breathable leather boots from Cabelas for all your humping in the bush. Get a good pair of max insulated pac boots for the deer stand. I have a pair of Sorel Alaska pac boots. When you get to the deer stand change your socks. I always wore a pair of thin wool socks into the stand then took them off an put on a pair of heavy wool socks.

Unsure if those good ole Sorels are still made as well as they once were, but duct tape aside on one of two pairs of these boots owned, at 19 & 20 years old now, original liners and laces (on one pair) these boots are still as warm as ever. Incredible longevity and 10 years of nearly double winter use in the north.

Unsure if those good ole Sorels are still made as well as they once were,

I've been wearing the same Sorel hiking boots for 15 years now and other than the soles wearing smooth their darned near as good as day one.

Used to be an excellent boot, hope the quality hasn't slipped like on so many other products.

I have a great pair of Sorel Glacier's that have served me well for 20 years. I don't believe you can buy these kick-ass boots anymore. Good for the extreme cold put only waterproof up to 4" of water and a bit to bulky for hiking through the bush. My pants need to be tucked in to them to since they are big up top so also not good for deep snow. The Irish Setters review really well on Cabelas and so do the Muck's. I may have to get two pair of boots as suggested. One pair for temps down to 0c and another pair for the winter cold. Leaning towards the Irish Setter's right now.

My Sorel's only go on for ice fishing. Remember this Lew?

196976_4700576522_3302_n.jpg

PICT0509.JPG

That was the dream team. Pike out of 60 fow,lakers caught jigging 45 degrees from the hole.LOL

Thanks for that memory.

Do you have the one where you made a cast and snapped the tip of my rod? LOL

That was a few years ago.

Edited by Misfish

As for your boot question,I have gone with the baffens for my winter boot. I have two pairs of hunting boots.

Non steel toe. 3rd year and nothing but praise about them. Toasty.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/23550000.htm

Those that say they have had good Irish setter. You must be the lucky ones. I have nothing good to say about them.

Rocky boots are total crap since they are now made in China.

The ones I have are Wolverines. Nice and dry,and I bought them a size up so I can wear a heavy wool sock.

Thanks for that memory.

Do you have the one where you made a cast and snapped the tip of my rod? LOL

I had forgotten about that move. It is up there with hitting Team Empty Pockets in the back two casts in a row with a 5 once musky lure with 3 treble hooks. Some of my many embarrassing moments I'd like to forget about. LOL

for the blind or standing on ice for long periods of time, check out the Cabela's Saskatchewan boots, and they come in camo. I've used them hard for 5 years and still on the original liners, water and scent proof. I bought spares incase they discontinue them.

They are not great for walking because they are so tall...

for the blind or standing on ice for long periods of time, check out the Cabela's Saskatchewan boots, and they come in camo. I've used them hard for 5 years and still on the original liners, water and scent proof. I bought spares incase they discontinue them.

They are not great for walking because they are so tall...

I just checked them out. Very much praised. They may just end up being my deep cold boots.

My circulation isn't what it once was so a few years ago I searched for a great cold weather pac hunting boot. One that would allow me to still hunt but keep my feet warm on stand. i settled on the Schnee's Hunter II pac boot and I've been very satisified. This boot is totally waterproof yet to be safe one should apply thread sealer. Additionally one should buy 1 full size larger than their shoe size. When I bought mine I ordered 13's, I applied the thread sealer, and subsequently after my 1st hunt realized they were just a little small. The company sent me brand new boots at no charge. The boots carry a lfetime guarantee on workmanship and if you wear out the soles you can send the in to be re-soled. The only thing I would recommened is that you use a pitch type sealer to cover the leather smell which out of the box is pretty bad, but after application and time is a non-issue. The boots are amazingly comfortable, like wearing a sneaker. For me this is the ultimate hunting boot, and you can buy and you can but camo hunting gaiters from Kenetrek, who make a very similar boot for a few less bucks.

httphttp://www.kenetrek.com/products.asp?dept=13