White Corn GMO or Regular - Sourcing

Afraz

Number one , no one signs my pay check, I'm retired and have nothing to gain by sharing the truth with anyone that want's to know the real truth. Not like these activist groups who raise millions for their own benefit by spreading disinformation and fear. Your reply is full of emotion but lacks any truth other that spouting off anti GMO reteoric and lies. Not to sound arrogant, but I am vastly more qualified in both experience and education to comment on this issue then anyone else that has posted here. Have a good day.

Yup as I figured..Cant teach an old dog new tricks..Thank god your at the end of your career..

Yup as I figured..Cant teach an old dog new tricks..Thank god your at the end of your career..

Love the good comeback that's full of fact and informed information. And yes, I had a great career and contributed to the improvement of agricultural science which was what my goal was when I entered the industry. So I'd say it was a success. There are thousands of us who have dedicated their life to this field of study and it feels good when anyone of them know they've made a positive contribution to the farmers and man kinds ability to feed themselves.

Edited by Old Man

I would start at a place like Grassroots (stores on the Danforth...by the Commons and on Bloor St. near Brunswick Ave in the Annex). I bought some organic corn seed this summer but can't remember where I got it. The package is at the cabin so next time I'm up, will see if there's a price sticker.

Love the good comeback that's full of fact and informed information.

Lol I have tried with the intelligent come back but when you know everything and were nothing more then "activists" that know nothing , an intellectual debate is like peeing into the wind my friend.. I mentioned the Roundup or Glyphosate showing up in ground water on my Grandparents old farm, you say nothing other then "Your reply is full of emotion but lacks any truth other that spouting off anti GMO reteoric and lies. Not to sound arrogant, but I am vastly more qualified in both experience and education to comment on this issue then anyone else that has posted here. Have a good day."

witch to me translates to laymen terms ,I know it all your you know nothing. So please explain to me this ever rapidly growing list of contries that are opposed to GMO? I wont go on all day with you on this but its something im extremely passionate about.. So i could. The information is out there folks learn for yourselves and think outside the box.

Here's a list of countries (and U.S. counties) that have banned genetically modified crops in one way or another.

In the United States: Only the California counties of Mendocino, Trinity and Marin have successfully banned GM crops. Voters in other Calilfornia counties have tried to pass similar measures but failed.

In Australia: Several Australian states had bans on GM crops but most of them have since lifted them. Only South Australia still has a ban on GM crops, though Tasmania has a moratorium on them until November of 2014.

In Japan: The Japanese people are staunchly opposed to genetically modified crops and no GM seeds are planted in the country. However, large quantities of canola are imported from Canada (which is one of the world's largest producers of GM canola) and there is now GM canola growing wild around Japanese ports and roads to major food oil companies. Genetically modified canola such as Monsanto's Roundup Ready canola have been found growing around 5 of the 6 ports that were tested for GM contamination.

In New Zealand: No GM foods are grown in the country.

In Germany: There is a ban on the cultivation or sale of GMO maize.

In Ireland: All GM crops were banned for cultivation in 2009, and there is a voluntary labeling system for foods containing GM foods to be identified as such.

In Austria, Hungary, Greece, Bulgaria and Luxembourg: There are bans on the cultivation and sale of GMOs.

In France: Monsanto's MON810 GM corn had been approved but its cultivation was forbidden in 2008. There is widespread public mistrust of GMOsthat has been successful in keeping GM crops out of the country.

In Madeira: This small autonomous Portugese island requested a country-wide ban on genetically modified crops last year and was permitted to do so by the EU.

In Switzerland: The country banned all GM crops, animals, and plants on its fields and farms in a public referendum in 2005, but the initial ban was for only five years. The ban has since been extended through 2013.

In India: The government placed a last-minute ban on GM eggplant just before it was scheduled to begin being planted in 2010. However, farmers were widely encouraged to plant Monsanto's GM cotton and it has led to devastating results. The UK's Daily Mail reports that an estimated 125,000 farmers have committed suicide because of crop failure and massive debt since planting GM seeds.

In Thailand: The country has zigzagged in its support and opposition of GM crops. The country had widespread trials of GM papayas from Hawaii but reversed its plans when the seeds got wild and began contaminating nearby crops. Several countries such as Japan moved to restrict the importation of Thailand's papayas as a result, not wanting to import any GM foods. Thailand is currently trying to embrace both sides -- producing organic foods for some countries at a high price while moving towards embracing more and more GM crops. The country has also tried declaring some areas GMO-free zones in order to encourage other countries to trust their foods.

So your comeback is to post an out of date list of countries that have or have had in past GMO bans. Bans brought about by fear mongering organizations and a lack of understanding of the science by politicians. When you say "growing list", this list has actually shrunk over the years as common sense prevails and the facts are known and proved.

And when I say out of date, I mean by several years. For example "Only South Australia still has a ban on GM crops,". Not true, the ban on GMO's was lifted there well before my retirement. We've conducted our winter nursery in South Australia for many years. Good cut and paste off the internet, but you should check how current the information you're cutting and pasting is.

Then we come ot this; "witch to me translates to laymen terms ,I know it all your you know nothing" No, it translates into, I know a lot more about the science then you do. Just as your family doctor knows a lot more about medical science then you do. That's why you consult them for health issues.

And as far as your claim that glycophate has contaminated the ground water on your grandparents farm. Really, because glycophate won't persit in the environment long enough to ever filter down into the ground water. Now if you claimed their ground water was contaminated by atrazine, I'd probably agree that there was a chance it was. Good thing farmers don't use atrazine any more.

Edited by Old Man

No such thing as GMO beef?

Go back to school, you're out of the times

Unless you think this "corn fed beef" program push is for some human health benefit?

Buddy, go learn what the term GMO means. It has nothing to do with what the animal is fed. Cattle have been fed corn during the finishing process for years. Long before GMO's. Most beef in Canada are finished with barley. Your ignorance about agriculture is readily apparent from your reply.

Yes it is glycophate I have seen the test results with my own eyes..But, .Yup peeing into the wind defiantly comes to mind..Im done..Use your own heads folks..Not someone that thinks he knows it all..I wouldn't argue with my grandfather for same reason..

You dont have to tell me how beef is raised. Ive been a butcher for 10 years. You need some education on meat, apparently.

Good for you. I was raised on a mixed farm in Minnedosa Manitoba. We had beef, dairy, hogs, grain and forage crops. I spent 7 years studying agriculture at the University of Manitoba including several courses in animal science. Don't try to tell me I know nothing about raising beef. I've done it. What does knowing how to cut up a carcass have to do with animal husbandry?

Edited by Old Man

Yes it is glycophate I have seen the test results with my own eyes..But, .Yup peeing into the wind defiantly comes to mind..Im done..Use your own heads folks..Not someone that thinks he knows it all..I wouldn't argue with my grandfather for same reason..

So they successfully sued Monsanto then?

not to be rude but a career devoted to the study of agricultural science sounds a lot more prominent than being a butcher for 10 years, both of my uncles are butchers for 25+ years each and they both said I just cut the meat I could care less where it comes from, they are both hunters and fisherman and lead a similar life to many of the people on this board, but they are not impartial to organic or gmo when I asked the one if gmo beef was a thing or not he laughed and said no.

all in all it's these people we depend on as a population not just you and your family but the millions of others out there, if they have the capability of increasing yield,resistances etc all the better to me and 36million other people, it's the closed minded attitude to scientific fact that the groups feed off of to send across a negative connotation to the GMO industry, and I'm not partial to any side, I'm a sheet metal worker before someone tells me the man is signing my pay LOL

This all starts in the White House, where Monsanto often got its way by exerting disproportionate influence over policymakers via the “revolving door”. One example is Michael Taylor, who worked for Monsanto as an attorney before being appointed as deputy commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1991. While at the FDA, the authority that deals with all US food approvals, Taylor made crucial decisions that led to the approval of GE foods and crops. Then he returned to Monsanto, becoming the company’s vice president for public policy. These are the people that feed you your information. So am I to take the word of a man from Ontario Canada that's its ok to feed this garbage to my kids?lol I think not.

This all starts in the White House, where Monsanto often got its way by exerting disproportionate influence over policymakers via the “revolving door”. One example is Michael Taylor, who worked for Monsanto as an attorney before being appointed as deputy commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1991. While at the FDA, the authority that deals with all US food approvals, Taylor made crucial decisions that led to the approval of GE foods and crops. Then he returned to Monsanto, becoming the company’s vice president for public policy. These are the people that feed you your information. So am I to take the word of a man from Ontario Canada that's its ok to feed this garbage to my kids?lol I think not.

So one quick question. Wha does the FDA have to do with Canadian Agriculture? Our Ag industry in regulated by Agriculture Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Health Canada, and The Pesticide Managament Regulator Agency (PMRA). Canada and Canadian scientests control our food regulation and policies, not the FDA.I just love how you personally know what has gone on behind the scenes at the White House.

So one quick question. Wha does the FDA have to do with Canadian Agriculture? Our Ag industry in regulated by Agriculture Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Health Canada, and The Pesticide Managament Regulator Agency (PMRA). Canada and Canadian scientests control our food regulation and policies, not the FDA.I just love how you personally know what has gone on behind the scenes at the White House.

Money talks...I have no clue what goes on in the White hose but it sure is all over the world wide web..Keep deflecting facts with spew

Time will tell who is right and wrong..I don't plan on being a statistic 20 years down the road nor will my family..We all know organic wont pollute or kill us in the long run..

Good for you. I was raised on a mixed farm in Minnedosa Manitoba. We had beef, dairy, hogs, grain and forage crops. I spent 7 years studying agriculture at the University of Manitoba including several courses in animal science. Don't try to tell me I know nothing about raising beef. I've done it. What does knowing how to cut up a carcass have to do with animal husbandry?

Stew in your self loathing. I'll eat healthy and not have cancer, and not fund billionaire corps that kill small time farmers and local industry.

You'll do the opposite. You're old and know everything, how dare I?