Video - Big Whitetail Buck Trashes Downed Tree (Ottawa)

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

With the rut in full swing, I have been visiting my favourite deer spots to photograph and videotape the bucks. Was cool to find the same 10-point buck yesterday that I filmed a year ago. This time he is approximately 1 km to the east and across a busy road. Funny enough, a big 9-pointer has moved into his old stomping ground.

Filmed this clip of Mr. 10 trashing the heck out of a fallen tree, leaving his scent and marking his territory with some aggressive rubs. Was cool to watch this from less than 25 feet away.

To view in best quality and HD, click on 1080p HD (small circle at right hand side under viewing screen.)

Enjoy!

Thanks, Outlaw. Yep, he is definitely king I'd say. He has produced the largest rubs and scrapes I have ever come across. I'd say he was probably king last year, although the 9 that has taken over his old stomping grounds might give him a run for his money.
Back to this spot tomorrow to shot more images and videos - hopefully capture some great action.

Cheers,

Justin

Figured this might make you antsy, Brian, lol! Funny enough, I have been at this spot about six times over the last three weeks. Only does have been seen. But, probably 30+ rubs and scrapes everywhere. Then, like a light switch, the bucks began appearing yesterday. Came across a total of five: a 3, 6, two 9's and this 10. The little guys wanted nothing to do with me. The big bucks paid me no attention. I was less than 30 feet from them for most of the time. This 10 I followed around for 2 hours! All of the big bucks were actively pursuing does and tending to scrapes/rubs.

Sadly for you.....no hunting allowed :dunno: lol!

Cheers,

Justin

Brian, I had a big doe in the cross hairs of crossbow scope on Monday and let her walk away. She was outside of 60 yards and there was too many small branches in the way. Didn't want to injure her. Heart was pounding though.

Eeeek...you were actually considering a 60+ yard shot with archery equipment? I think it's safe to say that most other hunters and I are VERY happy you passed on that shot. Not only would that doe have plenty of time to jump the string at that distance, buck fever (read "heart pounding") and the trajectory of your arrow make such a shot extremely difficult, even for the pro's who have shot hundreds of deer.

Thanks for the comments and ideas, guys. Much appreciated.

Headed back out today. Came across nine different bucks. At one point I had four bucks all within a 40 yard radius of me. My most productive outing for bucks yet. Surprisingly, only one small scrap between two 9's. Unfortunately, they were behind some brush so I couldn't get a clear shot with the camera. Shot a bunch more video today and took some cool shots of a big 9 that decided to bed down only 20 feet away from me. Now that was cool.

We'll see what tomorrow brings :)

Cheers,

Justin

Headed back out today. Came across nine different bucks. At one point I had four bucks all within a 40 yard radius of me.

Ok,you can stop pissing me off .LOL

I have to admit. As much as I would like to take a harvested deer,I did find myself taking more pics,then looking, watching for deer.

I can't believe you have that many deer in one area. I have had only two different bucks and maybe three different doe's show up on the trail cam in a month span. And of course most of the pics are at night. Way too many deers taken during the controlled hunt

Hey Skud,

This is part of Ottawa's NCC Trails - a massive expanse of designated public land deemed for green space. It is no hunting, so deer numbers are much higher, and fear of people is much lower. I bushwhack off of the trails to find the deer that I do, but it can be relatively easy. Works awesome for photos and video.

Cheers,

Justin